Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   OCD (https://www.takethislife.com/ocd/)
-   -   OCD on a sexual level (https://www.takethislife.com/ocd/ocd-sexual-level-8321/)

Rikusho 02-24-07 10:43 AM

OCD on a sexual level

Is this possible? I've read about people having sexual OCD or being addicted to sex. How do people overcome this?

Any help would be appreciated.

penismightier 02-24-07 10:46 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think you have sexual OCD or an addiction? I mean, what particular habits, traits or compulsions? I don't want you to go into more detail than you're comfortable talking about, but a little more information about your situation might be helpful.

dragontears 02-24-07 10:48 AM

there is a sex addicts anonymous, try looking them up online, they might have some useful information

Rikusho 02-24-07 10:54 AM

Well i'm not sure of it's OCD or an Addiction. But the reason I think it might be is because of my continuous self pleasuring to put it politely, also recently I had joined up on a few sex websites. And not until over a week ago I realized that what I was doing was not right for me.

Also I have intrusive and continuous thoughts which include sex but also killing and hurting. All this has taken over my life and cost me 2 years of failing at university because I rather be at home doing my thing then doing anything else.
I know it's silly but that's how it was.

If you need anymore details, then let me know.

penismightier 02-24-07 11:22 AM

No, I think that should be enough to paint a pretty good picture. The reason I asked is that some people wonder about sex addictions, but they really just like a lot of sex and it has no negative impact on either their lives or that of their partner. In that case, what's the problem? Everyone's happy.

In your case, though, you recognise that you don't really want to be doing this and that it has been causing you some trouble in your life. There are negative consequences to your actions, and even though you haven't stated it directly, I can tell that it's really bothering you. It's not silly. Once you get into an addictive habit, it can be incredibly tough to break, no matter how self-destructive it becomes.

I really think you should look into Sex Addicts Anonymous, or do a search for some other sort of support group in your area. Maybe your university even has something that could help you out, or some sort of counselor or something. The thoughts of killing and hurting in particular really make me want to say that a counselor might be the better option. How intense are these thoughts? How much do you feel like acting on them? Have you ever acted on them in any way?

Rikusho 02-24-07 11:37 AM

Well I went to a doctor and i've been refered to a local department which specializes in this sort of thing. I also have counselling through the university and although the counselling has helped me alot, I think being on some sort of drug or something will be also better for me.

After I do my own thing, I feel depressed and ashamed because everytime before I would promise myself that I would never do it again.

The thoughts of killing and hurting are not too strong, but I have thought about people in my life being killed and allowing me to get close to people who I don't really know. I really dis-like this and I have managed to stop this way of thinking.

At times I feel very primal and animal like, I feel that the way I act and feel at times is not the real me. This results in a continuous struggle inside me. Sometimes I thought I was going to go insane

penismightier 02-24-07 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikusho
The thoughts of killing and hurting are not too strong, but I have thought about people in my life being killed and allowing me to get close to people who I don't really know. I really dis-like this and I have managed to stop this way of thinking..

I'm glad you've managed to stop these things from going through your head. That must have been pretty tormenting. It's good to hear that you didn't hae any really strong urges from this. We wouldn't want you to do anything you'd really regret.

Have you talked to your doctor and counselor about everything you've told us, including your thought that medications might help you? They may not have thought of this as an option if they didn't get all the details that would make them think of it. Also, some people do better without medication, depending on symptoms. If you don't need meds for your particular condition, then they really won't help anything. On the other hand, if you do need them, they really can be a blessing.

I can understand how you would feel primal and animal-like. You're giving into urges that you think you should be able to control. The truth is, though, sometimes controlling these things is beyond our means without some sort of support. I know it's easier said than done, but you don't have to feel depressed or ashamed about "doing your own thing." While it's got a bit of a taboo in society, it's just something that people do. There's nothing wrong with it in and of itself, but if it's interfering with your life, then you do need help to get things to a manageable level.

Rikusho 02-24-07 01:25 PM

I haven't spoken to my counseller about everything but I shall try to. Also it's contracted and mine runs out next Friday. Also I will tell the doctors when they manage to fit an appointment in for me.

Thanks for the advice and being understanding.

penismightier 02-24-07 01:36 PM

No problem. That's what we're here for.

Is it possible to renew that contract with your counselor? I hope so for your sake. I know it's difficult, but it's very important to be open and honest with people who are in a position to help us. That's how we get healed. It's something that has to be done at your own pace, though. You can't force yourself to do it.

Rikusho 02-24-07 02:21 PM

I'll ask my counsellor about re-newing my contract with them. And yeah I agree that I need to be totally open with them and honest. It will take time but I know that i'll get back to my real self. And even if it takes 40 years for me to get well, then so be it. As long as in the end i'm well again.