Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Personality Disorders (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/)
-   -   Emotionally unstable personality disorder?? (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/emotionally-unstable-personality-disorder-73632/)

HidingTheTruth 06-11-12 12:40 PM

Emotionally unstable personality disorder??

I've just been diagnosed with this but I have no idea what it is. I tried googling it but couldn't seem to find much, just a lot about borderline personality disorder. Does anyone here have it? Is it the same as borderline personality disorder?

Dad of 3 06-11-12 01:43 PM

As near as I can tell in looking it up, it is the same thing as Borderline Personality Disorder. Sorry I can't help more.

The good news is that now you have a name to associate with what you are going through. I think it makes things easier because now you can see that you are not alone in your struggles. Best of luck to you!

HidingTheTruth 06-11-12 04:25 PM

Thanks, I came to the same conclusion. Wish I could have been told more about it in the appointment today, I should have asked but my brain froze and I struggled with voicing anything as usual. I will ask next week, at least then it won't be so new to me, and I have a kind of rough idea now.

Thankyou for the luck. My partner says its a good thing, at least now they know what they are treating they can give me the right help. Hopefully things will work out. It's weird, feeling this way for nearly 8 years and suddenly I have a name for it.

TalkToMe 06-11-12 04:35 PM

They have a name for everything, and if they don't they'll invent it.

My brain freezes a lot (without ice), but I find constant mental reminders helps stop it.
For example, when you next walk into you appointment say "What is Emotionally unstable personality disorder?, I meant to ask you last session but my brain froze".
See there you are asking the question and making them aware that you may need help remembering (like me).

Hope that helps.

HidingTheTruth 06-12-12 04:14 AM

Thankyou. Sometimes I think it might be worth just writing a list each week of things I want to say just so I don't forget. But then I forget to do the list...lol

TalkToMe 06-12-12 10:57 AM

Good idea, you should definitely list the things you want to talk about.

Post it notes and reminders on phones or computers help me.

sleepy 06-14-12 12:23 PM

What I do (and this is new) is take a teeny notepad and pen with me wherever I go. Plus it makes you look mysterious and sophisticated when you write in it in public:P

heaventodust 06-14-12 10:01 PM

I have honestly never heard of a condition called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, but I honestly would not be surprised if it is the same condition as Borderline Personality Disorder. (Just like manic depression is now called bipolar disorder.) Hang in there. <3

sleepy 06-14-12 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heaventodust (Post 781107)
I have honestly never heard of a condition called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, but I honestly would not be surprised if it is the same condition as Borderline Personality Disorder. (Just like manic depression is now called bipolar disorder.) Hang in there. <3

It is the same.

HidingTheTruth 06-15-12 12:30 PM

Quote:

What I do (and this is new) is take a teeny notepad and pen with me wherever I go. Plus it makes you look mysterious and sophisticated when you write in it in public:P
Haha always good to look mysterious and sophisticated! :p thanks i will bear that in mind.

Quote:

Thankyou. Am doing my best. And yeah I read the other day somewhere that some European countries have renamed borderline to emotionally unstable so that has cleared that one up.