Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Grieving (https://www.takethislife.com/grieving/)
-   -   Losing our pets (https://www.takethislife.com/grieving/losing-our-pets-58846/)

ferrets 03-25-11 03:07 PM

Losing our pets

Brandy gave me this idea and I thought it was nice.

I only told a few people here what is going on.I wanted to post but I didn't know how to say things.

Lilly.......my lovely little girl passed away early hours this morning.Iam so upset right now, it hurts so much.I cried so much and still have tears wanting to come out.I miss her so much.
I took her to my parents to put in the back garden, she has some daffodils in a vase that my mum got for me.

Lilly I love you and miss you so much.You where so cute and so sweet.Mummy loves you and always will.Missed but never forgotten.

Please post if you have lost a pet

brandysnap 03-25-11 04:12 PM

Im sorry for your loss Ferrets - I know how much you love animals. Lily had a good life with you and Abby - sending loving hugs your way.

(((((((((((Ferrets))))))))))

sweet release 03-25-11 04:31 PM

awww,

really sorry to hear what happened

lost my dog a year ago.. and still not really over it

i can still hear him sometimes

losing pets is exactly like losing family, you treat them just the same

you hang in there- don't feel you have to rush to get over it- take as long as you need

wtf 03-25-11 04:32 PM

i lost my dog like 4 years ago... hes burried in garden with a plant on top :) i cried my eyes out... i even skip classes of college that day... is in a better place! :hug:

ferrets 03-25-11 05:17 PM

Thank you all for posting.
My mum got some daffodils and let me use her lion vase to put them in.Mum was really supportive.

Iam worried Abby will feel alone but plan to try get her to meet a new friend.
Its so hard, she was family and I love my animals, I vow no more pets when Abby has a new friend thats it, I can't go through this again.

Iam going to make a memory picture for Lilly in photoshop.

dax 03-25-11 06:47 PM

i am sorry for your loss ferrets, i'm sure you will miss Lilly very much.

roland84 03-25-11 07:28 PM

i miss my dog so much. i always loved speaking to my dog, especially when i was drunk. shed always look at me, and id answer in her voice, it always felt like talking things through in my head, but not so crazy. also i loved taking her for walks when i was stressed, she loved walking all the time, she always had time for me. she died of cancer, like all things i love. im sorry for your loss, people never seem to understand loss of pets like they do people. i see them like members of your family, you love them like family, why is it so wrong to miss them like family?

saltyrose 03-25-11 07:34 PM

Oh Ferrets .... my heart breaks for you .... you loved Lily sooo much ... it was evident in the pictures and posts you shared .... my heart breaks for you as I so honestly know what it is like to be blessed with a pet, to love them ever so dearly and to lose them .... stay strong Ferret ..... Lily will forever more be at your side ..... I believe this truly!!!!!!!!!!!!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((ferrrets)))))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))

ferrets 03-25-11 09:45 PM

Thank you for posting.Iam sorry for the ones that have lost pets.
I don't understand some people either roland, I love my pets like family and when this happens it hurts so much.

Iam being strong for Abby she needs me so much right now, I just hope my plans go ok for her.
I hope she will be Salty, I really do.

I miss her flicking her food around and having to go round swiping it up :(
Must stay strong for Abby though.

Thank you again for the post.
:hug:

Iwannasmile 03-25-11 10:23 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I am a rat person, and I am always devastated when they pass away. They give so much love to us, and it is so hard to let them go. I can feel your pain.

ferrets 03-26-11 11:04 AM

Thank you Iwannasmile.
It is hard and it never gets easy.Its going to be hard getting another gerbil but its for Abby so she doesn't take a turn for the worse.I will always be thinking of Lilly and how she use to dig, flick her food and everything else.

simplyagirl 03-26-11 11:47 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss!

I'm sending all the hugs you could possibly cope with your way!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I'll always miss my cats, it's so hard losing a pet!

I still have 3 cats now, and I want them to be with me forever! They are litterally my best friends, and I know that sounds sad...but I don't care!

Shaun 03-26-11 12:07 PM

I lost my cat just after the new year of 2011, he had cancer which none of our visits to vets had noticed it. Broke my heart, had him since I was 6 years old. Life is so strange without him.

ferrets 03-26-11 12:14 PM

Thank you FairyFliss.
I don't think that is sad at all, I think like that too so its not sad at all.
Iam sorry about your cats.It is so hard.

Iam on a gerbil forum and I keep seeing white gerbils like Lilly :( its so hurting.I am only on there to get help with getting Abby introduced to a friend, ban my self from looking at the photo section.

Iam sorry about your cat shaun :( Its so horrible when this happens.

saltyrose 03-27-11 12:41 PM

I am soo sorry for your loss Ferrets ... I know how much you loved Lily .....I loved to read your posts and see the pictures of your 2 gerbils... you gave her a wonderful loving life! It is so hard to lose a pet .... I lost my cat after 18 years and I was so grief stricken .... they give such joy and unconditional love! My heart is with you Ferrets during this very sad time ):
gentle hugs Ferrets!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((ferretsandAbby))))))))) ))))))))))))))

ferrets 03-27-11 12:53 PM

Thank you Salty.
I get very attached to my pets, they are family and my babies.Its very hard when this happens.
Iam sorry about your cat :( You are right.
Thank you, I will pass your hugs on to Abby :hug:

Was going to post the picture I did for Lilly but I might not.

Fletch 05-17-11 11:46 PM

Yeah, I'm going through that right now, actually. The dog we've had for almost 15 years is dying. They don't think she's gonna last too much longer. Me and my mom are pretty broken up about it. I hate, it we've had her since I was 10, she's been a better friend to me than most people I've known, and now we're losing her. :'(

ferrets 05-18-11 05:12 AM

Iam so sorry to her that Fletch.I know its very hard.I still think of Lilly to this day and it still hurts.I know that feeling, my pets are my best friends, plus nearly my only friends.Hope your be ok.:hug:

Fletch 05-18-11 04:30 PM

They just put her to sleep this afternoon. I went to say goodbye and bawled all over her.

R.I.P. Rosie

brandysnap 05-18-11 04:49 PM

Im sorry Fletch for your loss

R.I.P. Rosie

ferrets 05-19-11 07:12 AM

:( R.I.P Rosie. So sorry Fletch to hear the news.

SaveMeJeebus 05-19-11 09:24 AM

I grew attached to my uncles dog when living with him in America for about 8 months. I visited him about four times before, and these visits were 4 weeks staying with him. I had a great bond with his dog as I was always out home, and I was always able to play with the dog, take it out, and so forth.

Anyway, at christmas we decided to return to England to pay the family a visit (I'm living in England now, another story). Worse flight every as it was a snow day in Englad and literally everything collapses (we're totally not prepared) we got off the plan and waited around for about 6 hours in the airport. We finally got picked up, and then driving home he receives a phone call that his dog died in her sleep with the people looking after her. I poured out crying. She weren't that old, and she didn't even have any problems. What made it worse is that the day he left to drop her off with people I decided to say home. Blaaah.

ferrets 05-19-11 11:45 AM

SaveMeJeebus Iam really sorry :( losing a pet even if its someone in your family's pet its still very hard :(

TooMuch 05-19-11 01:07 PM

I'm sorry for you loss!

I loss my cat over 5 years ago and I still miss him. He was everything to me. It hurts more with time because I miss him more with each day. I think at first I was in shock.

I went to a Psychic one time and somehow, he came up in the reading. This was so unexpected for me. Anyway, she said he was in heaven and he's my angel watching over me. I like that comment, that he's still there trying to take care of me.

We were so good together. I wish I could've had a man that loved me as much as that cat did. I'm glad I had him though. He was perfect for me.
I'm glad he's in heaven watching me, too.

Again, sorry for your loss. Mine still hurts.

ferrets 05-19-11 03:11 PM

Iam sorry TOomuch :(
I understand how you feel.I miss Lilly everyday and wish she was still kicking her food around.Abby and Little one don't do it, they are to not messy for that.
Its hard not to miss them.I always think about her when I go to bed and sometimes I have a tear.

I made a little R.I.P for Lilly.Can't remember if I posted it though, just for memory's.

Iam sorry for everyone's loss :( my thoughts are with you all no matter how long it has been.Our pets are our best friends and we will always love them.R.I.P to them all.

SaveMeJeebus 05-19-11 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrets (Post 612104)
SaveMeJeebus Iam really sorry :( losing a pet even if its someone in your family's pet its still very hard :(

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooMuch (Post 612115)
We were so good together. I wish I could've had a man that loved me as much as that cat did. I'm glad I had him though. He was perfect for me.
I'm glad he's in heaven watching me, too.

Woa, sorry for you loss too. You'll find someone one day TooMuch :smile:

Fletch 05-19-11 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandysnap (Post 611928)
Im sorry Fletch for your loss

R.I.P. Rosie

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrets (Post 612052)
:( R.I.P Rosie. So sorry Fletch to hear the news.

Thanks guys.

xunforgivenx 06-28-11 11:25 PM

Lady

I'm sorry for everyone who has lost a pet who they dearly loved. Only another pet owner can understand!

My beloved cat Lady passed away very suddenly Aug 2009 and I haven't been able to move on or get over it since. I cry for her everyday and I just don't know what to do because I just can't feel this way for the rest of my life, it's exhausting!

Anyone else have real trouble getting over losing a pet?

I don't have anyone to talk to about it because people think that you shouldn't feel this way about an animal!!:confused::confused: Will the pain ever go away. I have another cat, I got him April last year and I do love him of course but he's just not my Lady.

My depression is so bad and this grief on top is killing me! Not really got over losing my mum in 2005 either! OMG what a life!!

:frown::frown::frown:

DPG1 06-25-14 12:10 AM

Years ago, we had our dog put down as she was sick and the vet told us there was nothing that could be done for her. She was 13 and a real sweetheart. I stayed with her until she was dead and at least had the comfort of knowing that her death was fast and peaceful even though I felt like I had handed my best friend over to a killer. I was 17 at the time. I knew then as I know today that this was merciful and letting her linger to die on her own would have been very cruel.

Thought I had got over it but when my wife and I got our dog and brought her in to be spayed 7 years ago, I started to get down in the dumps when we left her at the vet`s. My wife got scared (this was the first time she actually had a dog getting spayed), and asked me what I was not telling her. Turns out she thought this was an extremely risky operation and that the chances of the pup dying were huge. I told her about the other dog and we realized the connection. Dreary day both times. Going to the vet`s with a dog and leaving with no dog. Well, I think you folks get the picture. We ended up going out and doing errands to preserve our sanity and when I called the vet`s, just about jumped for joy when she told me the surgery went fine and we can come in the morning to pick up our pup. (she was about 11 months old at the time).
Happy to say, she`s still going strong and surprisingly has adjusted to the major changes in our life.
I love our mutts and I know for a fact that when this one`s time comes, I`ll be a mess. Hopefully it won`t be for a long while.

DPG1 09-25-16 10:02 AM

We just put our dog down yesterday as she has cancer. It had spread pretty fast and the vet said this was the only course of action.

We had her nearly 10 years and she was a rescue. We're missing her a lot. As for getting another dog, right now, no as it would be too early and we're going to be getting our own place in a couple of years. Better to wait. Right now, we're a mess mentally.

hottea654 09-25-16 01:02 PM

Sorry to hear of your dog's passing DPG. It's never fun.

My old cat friend Little Brother has passed (most likely) from life in the last 2 weeks. His health was slipping, he'd had a stroke and then fallen from a tree 3 stories high a year ago, was having gand-mal seizures every day, and he is 17 people years. My family was in the process of moving across town to be closer to the new work places and he ran from the house suddenly one day, about weeks ago now. We've looked for him extensively and can't find him. He has vanished. He used to always come home again when he went out, no matter where we lived, he always came home. He loves me. He got so old that he didn't struggle to jump out of my arms shortly after I picked him up any more, and he just lay in my arms like a tired old creature. I suppose he's gone back to the earth and the world, but I hope he's still here somehow. He was my friend for all those years and we overcame lots of obstacles like homelessness and traveling together in between doing well. I miss him. every time I leave and come home I think about him. It's an empty feeling to open the door and he's not there.

DPG1 09-29-16 06:26 PM

Thanks hottea654 and sorry to hear to hear about Little Brother. Losing any pet is difficult especially when you don't have children of your own. They're the fur babies.

Been almost a week and yeah, we're feeling her absence big time. The veterinarian who euthanized our dog sent us a card. Really nice and while we were there, was very supportive of us. Every day when I come home from work, I expect to see the dog looking out the door for me or at the end of her leash. And yes, the house is very quiet right now. Will take time.

hottea654 11-02-16 01:52 PM

I know the feeling DPG1. I come home and expect to see him run up, to hear him, I cut up chicken and look for him to feed the bits to. I hear something sometimes that sounds like him but I know he's gone. We have gone back to the old neighborhood and looked and looked and he is gone. Thats one of the hardest parts is I don't KNOW he is dead for sure, just have to assume. It is pretty much a certain thing, all the symptoms and his age and health fit the scenario, but all I know is that he ran out with an uncommon strength and vigor for his last year of life, never to be seen again. Sometimes what you know in your heart you want to fight in your hopes of the loss being somehow less hard. Most people just hurry up and get a new pet, but I'm not sure I'm ready for one. I'd need the right pet. I tried to raise another kitty for about 6 months while I still had Brother and he was not the right one. We gave him to people with children because he was too energetic and frisky. We saved him from death of infection and parasites, but as a young creature he was too much for our lifestyle. I don't miss that cat, just my old Brother cat.

I hope you feel okay soon DPG1. I know how the loss of your friend is everywhere you turn in your life right now. :hug::hug:

Endless Whinging 11-15-16 01:43 AM

I left my cat in the care of idiot friends while out of town. They let him out at night and he was killed by coyotes. I had an unusually strong bond with him. It's been a year and a half and I still think of him daily. I sometimes break down and cry. I am not a person who allows himself to cry.

I blame myself for his death, and not just for his death but the nature of it - alone, in terror, surrounded by enemies, torn apart. I should not have left him with these people. I should not have taught him that dogs could be friends. I expect that had I not dogsat for friends and accustomed him to being near dogs he'd not have hesitated that crucial moment and let them get too close. I should not have gone home when I went to collect him on my return; he was still alive at that point. I looked for a few hours and then went home and sat in bed awake. I found part of his body when I returned to look the next day. He was laying up somewhere during the day and they got him that night, while I sat uselessly in bed.

Friends have ruthlessly and relentlessly thrust other pets on me ever since, beginning immediately after his death. The idiots I left him with tried to get me a puppy. I eventually caved in and got a pair of kittens. This has been a disaster. I knew it was a wrong decision but had brought a friend with me to the shelter and was convinced to take them. I knew it was wrong and determined after two weeks to return them while they were still kittens and would still be adopted. The same friend again convinced me to keep them, promising to take them if I didn't want them. They are now grown, and I don't feel I can return them now as they would not have a good chance of being adopted.

They are great. Great cats. But not The Kitty. I cannot cuddle them, care for them, even see them without also thinking of Ollie and how he was killed. I relive his being torn in half, in terror, and my guilt over it every time I interact with them. I cuddle them and cry.

The one in particular is very interested in being my cat. He knows something is wrong. He can't understand why I don't love him and he feels bad about it. Which makes me feel even worse. I can't stand to let them outside, even if I stand over them and watch their every move; I am consumed with fear and I can't keep track of them both at once. So they are stuck indoors, which I think reduces their quality of life, which also makes me feel bad. And they are getting fat because they don't go out, and (for cats) they are both kind of shockingly unathletic and clumsy to begin with, and I like them even less for that, and I don't like that about myself. Everything about having them is, at the very best moments, a mixed bag.

The person who agreed to take them will do so, but it is clearly a burden and something they regret having said. They are astounded that I haven't "got over it" and wonder why I "delight in torturing myself." I don't know why either, but thus far I've been unable to stop.

So, Hottea, I advise you to wait. Wait for the right one, or until you are ready - same thing. You'll know when one comes to you and it is just joy, untinged by pain. That is how it was when Ollie came to me four years after losing my previous cat - unexpected, unlooked for, and joyous.

hottea654 01-05-17 03:39 AM

Thank you Endless. I'm sitting up late and crying. I cross my arms across my chest and hold the opposite shoulder, cry in quiet tears so my husband's snores won't be disturbed in the bedroom. (one bedroom flat) There were things my Brother did and responses he gave that were special, that I took comfort in. Now they're gone and if its comfort I seek, God only knows. I'm alone in this private pain in my life.

We can't ever replace our beloved friends. Maybe the first thing is not to try to do so. We can find different friends but never replace the ones lost. I think your Ollie went to the spirit world knowing you love him. I think he knew through and through that your love was always there. I'm sorry for your loss. I understand how deep your emotions are based on my experiences but I respect that they are yours. Its a burden alright. Can you do anything ceremonial that will help you find some peace? Sometimes a special ceremony between you and your friend and the loss can help. Or just talk with him out loud. Tell him how you feel. Sometimes that helps too. :hug:

midnightphoenix 01-06-17 12:22 PM

Out of the 5 cats I've had two had to be put to sleep (my elderly girl - Beauty - had cancer and a few other problems and my elderly boy - Tom - had serious damage to his spine, both times the vet said there was nothing else they could do) and my boy Dylan my family decided to give him away to a new family when my mental health was bad after a relationship ended and I lost everything else apart from my Dylan), the one I still guilt trip myself about is my Dylan because he was a lovely boy and found a new home easily despite being only a couple of years before old age (he was 7 and generally cats are considered to be starting to get old at the age of 8)