Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Alternative Treatment (https://www.takethislife.com/alternative-treatment/)
-   -   Let me know if it works for you (https://www.takethislife.com/alternative-treatment/let-me-know-if-works-you-53061/)

NormalGuy 12-09-10 08:10 PM

Let me know if it works for you

After reading around I guess I have discovered that my depression isn't as severe as some others, so for that I'm thankful in a way, but that makes me question how I have gotten away from it in the past. Rambling aside, I want to share something:

I'm an incredibly lanky guy 6'3 at 126 lbs (I usually hover around 130 but was sick recently) so, because of this I'm not built to do certain things in life - like fighting. A really good friend of mine got me into Jiu-Jitsu/Muay Thai with him and it was something that I was utterly terrible at but I still felt good doing. I guess failing in an area where I'm not designed to win was sort of a balance for me. Since I'm fairly weak I got taken down or tapped out by the other guys there who were all really cool and helpful since it was a learning environment. I had the ability to go head-to-head with more skilled people than myself with a confidence that this person was not a rival of mine but just someone doing the same activity as me. It was fun to be out of my element and just mess around with other people.

This all started after a seriously dark time in my young life began so it helped a lot I believe. I don't know if it was simply because I had all this anger and hatred building up inside that it felt good to release it in a physical form or if it was just something different to do. I encourage you all to try something completely new so that you can get a new view on life and maybe appreciate it more. We're all on the same side here. :)

mmch85 12-10-10 04:21 AM

When I have more money I'm gona join a boxing gym. I like to fight, I know it's a bit sick, but I love it. It's the biggest adrenalin rush ever, even when your getting beat.

Hey you would be good at boxing! No one could punch your head :-)

Uncomfortably Numb 12-10-10 09:13 AM

Martial arts are awesome. Don't dismiss your frame so quickly though - being lanky can be a big advantage too, especially in competition. You'd probably have a good 6 inches of reach on anyone in your weight division. Also, everyone sucks when they start (and everyone remembers how much they used to suck - that's why the people you met were so supportive of newcomers like yourself, because they've been there too), so I hope you don't let that discourage you, because you will definitely improve in a hurry if you keep at it!

NormalGuy 12-10-10 03:23 PM

I actually had to stop since I was paying for it myself and I got a car instead that I make the monthly payments for. I was great at all the transitions and submissions through since I'm INCREDIBLY flexible.

Uncomfortably Numb 12-10-10 03:49 PM

Ahh, I see. I had to stop too, they changed the class schedule around on me. :/ Hope you get back into it eventually though (I intend to as well), from the sounds of it you have a lot of potential!