Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   The TTL Cafè (https://www.takethislife.com/ttl-cafe/)
-   -   Call me. ...NOT! (https://www.takethislife.com/ttl-cafe/call-me-not-5228/)

Administrator 11-11-06 01:21 PM

Call me. ...NOT!

Here is a rant of mine.

I don't like to see any members putting this resource in jeopardy for all of us by soliciting telephone contact and doing other things that our guidelines explicitly prohibit.

There is absolutely no reason why a grown man or woman should seek telephone support from an adolescent they meet in a depression support community. The first and most obvious fear is sexual predation. However, even in its absence, it is not appropriate for an adult to hold an already troubled adolescent responsible for their well being or make an adolescent feel responsible. In fact, it is downright selfish. As far as support for the adolescent is concerned, the best thing an adult who wants to help can do beyond posting in the forums is to encourage a younger friend to call a support number or seek professional help.

If anyone sees members discussing calling one another, please remind them that such activity violates our community guidelines. If you know of an alarming disparity in age between the members, please notify me or a moderator.

Adults here can post in forums for support and can always call support hotlines, seek therapy, etc. if they need something this community cannot provide. There is no reason they should be talking to teenagers on the phone.

If you have trouble seeing what all of the fuss is about, please imagine if it was your own son or daughter.

Thank you,
Admin

boulevard-traveler 11-11-06 01:48 PM

I see your point

iris45211 11-11-06 02:14 PM

You have an excellent point there Admin. As adults it is not our right to put all of our problems onto teens. I had this done to me for the majority of my adolescent life, by teachers and friends that were adults. I know that at the time we don't really realize the impact that it could have on people. When I was younger it used to make me feel so good thinking that I was helping an adult. The bad thing is that as teens..we are usually going through so much that we end up trying to take on everyones problems.

tiggrr 11-11-06 02:23 PM

Quote:

it is not appropriate for an adult to hold an already troubled adolescent responsible for their well being or make an adolescent feel responsible. In fact, it is downright selfish
I think this is very true.

Zetsumei 11-11-06 09:25 PM

I agree completely admin.

crimson 11-11-06 09:39 PM

you know for once i am speach less

beautifullysuicidal2007 11-11-06 11:52 PM

Very good point admin :)

dragontears 11-11-06 11:54 PM

i'm glad somebody said it!

redcopgirl 11-12-06 10:38 AM

Very good point admin.

I for one would not like to be responsible for a youngs persons well being if I say the wrong things.

Spurs 11-13-06 04:26 PM

Absoulty, in fact i think thats very disburbing actually