Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Inspirational Music and Movies (https://www.takethislife.com/inspirational-music-movies/)
-   -   What happened to real hip hop/rap? (https://www.takethislife.com/inspirational-music-movies/what-happened-real-hip-hop-rap-49610/)

Tomoko 10-17-10 04:54 AM

What happened to real hip hop/rap?

American Hip Hop/Rap is very popular in Japan..I grew up in my teens when going to an all-girl school we didn't have boys to be around much so we had to create our own fun..we could get cardboard boxes and dance in the school yards and beat box lol I like listening to Pete Rock, Guru and DJ Premier, DJ Jazzy Jeff, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, 2pac, Wu Tang, EPMD, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Method Man, Redman, Eric Sermon, Too $hort and many more..I think most rap/hip hop these days all sounds the same and watered-down. So I always go back to what I used to listen to it make me forget about all the bullshit and problems living in this new country call the USA

This is one of my favorites..I love the beginning of the turn tables by DJ Premier YouTube - Gangstarr-Full Clip

Venom 10-18-10 03:43 AM

Real rap got crushed by pop rap. Damned radio bastards. Guru wrecks.

sunlight 10-18-10 08:22 AM

All music starts underground, becomes successful, becomes mainstream, becomes stale.

The circle will start again a few years in to the future.

Venom 10-18-10 05:19 PM

YouTube - Die 4 It - Playa Fly

That's Playa Fly from Memphis

I make real music... My shit is in below link

https://www.takethislife.com/member-m...-2009-a-31009/

Venom 10-18-10 05:21 PM

The Story Of Hip Hop

First it was good, then they grabbed it, raped it with no grease, snapped it's neck, and then Lil Jon went YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA to bust it's eardrums

TakeMeAway 10-31-10 07:21 AM

Lil wayne was born! Thats what happened.

Kill him <.<

Revolutionary 11-15-10 01:16 PM

You should check out Below the Heavens (album) by Blu and Exile. There's more out there that's good that I'd recommend but since you're into rap from the 90s I think this would be a good start to finding new music that you'd enjoy.

Lonelyone 12-01-10 10:13 AM

Corporate greed killed hip hop! Just like they killed rock. its not a way of expresion anymore its a fucking comodity for most of the big name rappers that are on the radio.

All the rappers that feel the need to scream there name every 10 seconds (fat man scoop!) also killed hip hop.

Big up to all the artists that made hip hop great, gang starr, jeru, immortal technique, jurassic 5, tribe called quest, wu tang, busta, de la soul and the rest of the forgotton...

I mostly listen to UK hip hop now, but even that has gone downhill in the last few years.

noreasons 01-16-11 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomoko (Post 526976)
American Hip Hop/Rap is very popular in Japan..I grew up in my teens when going to an all-girl school we didn't have boys to be around much so we had to create our own fun..we could get cardboard boxes and dance in the school yards and beat box lol I like listening to Pete Rock, Guru and DJ Premier, DJ Jazzy Jeff, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, 2pac, Wu Tang, EPMD, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Method Man, Redman, Eric Sermon, Too $hort and many more..I think most rap/hip hop these days all sounds the same and watered-down. So I always go back to what I used to listen to it make me forget about all the bullshit and problems living in this new country call the USA

This is one of my favorites..I love the beginning of the turn tables by DJ Premier YouTube - Gangstarr-Full Clip

It's still there, you just need to look a little harder. It's not that hip-hop has suffered an inherent decline, it's that hip-hop is now much more popular than it ever was. As such, like many forms of popular music, that which is selling in the millions usually isn't that which has the most artistic merit (there are a few exceptions to this).

Inferior hip-hop artists are riding the exact same cash cow as inferior pop/RnB/metal/classical/whatever artists are. It's not hip-hop's fault, it's the marketing machine's...hip-hop's just what's been hot these past few years.

I've listened to hip-hop since the mid-1990s (I'm only 26), and my favourite albums are drawn from the 1988-1994 era, similarly to many other 'serious' hip-hop fans.

I've still enjoyed a lot of the more contemporary artists, and five of my favourites are The Roots (OK, not so 'new' at all), Cormega, The Perceptionists (new as a group, old in that they consist of Akrobatik, Mr Lif and Fakts One), Klashnekoff and Dirty Water.

I have a DEEP dislike for Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, Talib Kweli, pretty much the whole DefJux roster past and present - except The Perceptionists - and MOST of Mos Def and Common's music - the reasons are complicated, but they just don't 'do it' for me.

User123 01-16-11 03:12 PM

Real Rap Today:
Lupe Fiasco
J. Cole
Blu
KiD CuDi
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Not that lil Wayne and drake bullshit
YouTube - "Dumb It Down" - Lupe Fiasco (Music Video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQjYPWDcmg&ob=av2el
YouTube - Verse From New (Untitled) Lupe Fiasco Single 12/2/2010