Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Science and Technology (https://www.takethislife.com/science-technology/)
-   -   Ubuntu - virus protection?? (https://www.takethislife.com/science-technology/ubuntu-virus-protection-47903/)

Mitza 09-16-10 12:09 PM

Ubuntu - virus protection??

I'm trying out Ubuntu on my pc. Currently installed alongside WinXP... And I was just wondering if I need to install any anti-virus software? I use Norton for WinXP. Is there any software you could recommend? Idk if it is necessary or what.. :confused:

Any help appreciated. :smile:

Varg 09-16-10 06:10 PM

You pretty much do not need any anti virus on ubuntu or any other Linux based OS. I used ubuntu full time for 12 months before switching to fedora, so if you want any assistance with anything give me a yell.

I first used Linux in 2000 and us it everyday, and have also given talks at the local university on it for interested users so occasionally I can actually be a help lol.

Mitza 09-16-10 07:00 PM

Thanks, Varg. I'll keep that in mind. :smile:
I haven't heard of fedora. Is it linux based too?

Varg 09-16-10 07:19 PM

Yeah it's the second most popular distribution, but not quite as friendly as ubuntu.

ubuntu is actually based on one of the oldest flavours of Linux, Debian. If it isn't to your taste their is an even friendlier one called Linux Mint that comes pre-packaged with all the codecs for various media formats and flash.

Mitza 09-16-10 07:30 PM

Well, so far I like ubuntu. Would be fun to try out others op systems too, but I don't really know any programming, so I have to keep it simple.. lol..
(Besides the fact that I promised my gf not to mess up the only computer we have at the moment.. :rolleyes:)

ubi756 09-18-10 08:51 PM

I use Debian (ubuntu is just basically 'snapshots' taken from debian testing). I don't use any antivirus stuff, and as far as I know I've never been attacked.

sun shine 09-19-10 12:59 PM

You don't need virus guard for ubuntu coz it's a linux distribution and windows virus want work in linux there are millions of viruses made for windows coz windows is the most popular operating system. There are virus made for linux but they are very less compair to windows. My suggestion is you don't need a virus gured for ubuntu. Don't buy virus guard for ubuntu it's waste of money but if you are really thinking about security there are free virus guard for ubuntu like Clam AntiVirus

If you have more questions ask

sun shine 09-19-10 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitza (Post 513056)
Well, so far I like ubuntu. Would be fun to try out others op systems too, but I don't really know any programming, so I have to keep it simple.. lol..
(Besides the fact that I promised my gf not to mess up the only computer we have at the moment.. :rolleyes:)

Don't worry you don't need any programming knowledge to set up most OS. First backup your data(coz you are doing it for first time)

if you don't understand search a youtube video that expain about installing OS

eg:- how to install fedora

then install those OS then you'll learn and become experience user :thumbsup:

sun shine 09-19-10 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varg (Post 513011)
You pretty much do not need any anti virus on ubuntu or any other Linux based OS. I used ubuntu full time for 12 months before switching to fedora, so if you want any assistance with anything give me a yell.

I first used Linux in 2000 and us it everyday, and have also given talks at the local university on it for interested users so occasionally I can actually be a help lol.

you are a tech addict like me lol nice to see you here and helping other members keep your good work :thumbsup:

Zoe 09-19-10 02:00 PM

I just install the new version of fedora lol/.. I waited till i was back in europe because i didn't want to screw up my computer I have been using Fedora now for a year giving up windows totally and enjoy it allot more.

and I am glade that you can use web cams and such on skype now with fedora which you couldn't last year.