Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Alternative Treatment (https://www.takethislife.com/alternative-treatment/)
-   -   How Do You Deal with Anger? (https://www.takethislife.com/alternative-treatment/how-do-you-deal-anger-40526/)

DarkCougar 05-09-10 02:23 PM

How Do You Deal with Anger?
 
How do you deal with anger? More and more I find myself overwhelmed with anger. Mind you, not aggression, but a constant burning feeling of anger.

It has resulted in me breaking some of my favorite things merely because I had them near me at the time. It usually ends when I realize I've broken something that can't be replaced, and the anger turns to sadness.

Not to mention it that it gives me a massive art block (though, I wouldn't be surprised of the anger and the art block were resonating upon each other).

I hardly recognize myself like this.. :C

Do you guys know/use any helpful exercises to reduce this pointless feeling of anger and need for destruction?

bloodred 05-09-10 02:36 PM

I've broken things also, maybe get a punchbag? I love using the punchbag to take all my anger out.. :biggrin:

JackFlash 05-09-10 03:27 PM

i usually throw something at a wall then listen to music and have a smoke.

Blue Girl 05-09-10 03:38 PM

usually the regret of being angry in the past helps me lose some anger.

MoniX 05-09-10 08:05 PM

I probably have Psychosis or Schizophrenia, but I usually just vent to myself - usually whisper about what's made me angry, or I'll bite my pillow really hard.. Or something to that effect, if I don't control my anger it'll lead to me bleeding to death.

powpowpow 05-09-10 08:51 PM

i let it fester until i eventually take it out on somebody else or myself

Giggity 05-10-10 12:01 AM

I meditate on my anger and try to turn it around into something more positive. I've found giving people the benefit of the doubt helps a lot. Example: if I'm driving and someone cuts me off, instead of getting angry, I'll think about the situation. Perhaps, the person was having a bad day or they had a death in the family and wasn't thinking properly, maybe, they didn't see me and they feel awful about cutting me off. This can be used in a lot of situations and I find it really helpful.

quarantine 05-10-10 02:18 AM

I just think that hopefully karma will get the person/persons in the end.And if it is just anger I agree with the above post and try and mediate it out somehow. And yeah, being angry is a huge artistic block of creativity, so it is best to dump the anger quickly, exersize, just the simple art of distraction by doing something else;

DarkCougar 05-10-10 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodred (Post 450791)
I've broken things also, maybe get a punchbag? I love using the punchbag to take all my anger out.. :biggrin:

Normally I'd try something mental to reduce the anger. But the old fashion way is just a good a way as any, I suppose. x3

DarkCougar 05-10-10 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powpowpow (Post 450925)
i let it fester until i eventually take it out on somebody else or myself

Thanks for your input, but that is sort of what I'm trying to prevent. ;P

DarkCougar 05-10-10 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giggity (Post 450999)
I meditate on my anger and try to turn it around into something more positive. I've found giving people the benefit of the doubt helps a lot. Example: if I'm driving and someone cuts me off, instead of getting angry, I'll think about the situation. Perhaps, the person was having a bad day or they had a death in the family and wasn't thinking properly, maybe, they didn't see me and they feel awful about cutting me off. This can be used in a lot of situations and I find it really helpful.

But how do you do it when it becomes overwhelming?.. I used to meditate it out, like you suggested. But for some reason that just makes it worse now.

Jammy 05-12-10 11:23 AM

bury my head in the sand

engima 05-12-10 11:57 AM

- you have to first realize that it's not pointless, that there is a reason behind it
- there's nothing wrong with feeling anger, it's a normal emotion, it's how you act on it that does matter
- you can vent your anger with things like punching bags, yelling at people, breaking things, but it will only be a relief and not a change in your recurring anger
- meditation is good because it helps you concentrate on your feelings without having them get in the way
- ask yourself what is your anger responding to, and what's the reason to continue feeling angry?

Hiding 05-12-10 01:25 PM

Badly

CrazyBirdLady 05-12-10 02:00 PM

I used to run long distances but now I talk it out with my therapist. Both work well for me. You can also "think it to death" eventually you'll get tired of it and let it go.

powpowpow 05-12-10 03:33 PM

i go into the shed in my backyard and paint miniature figurines :redface:

Blue Girl 05-12-10 09:07 PM

sometimes really good music helps my mood

tammy 2 11-05-10 07:37 PM

I have a condition called pyroluria, which causes unrelenting anxiety and can lead to angry outbursts. It is thought to be a genetic defect that causes the body to lose zinc and vitamin B6,in the process of making haemoglobin. Zinc, B6,omega6 and manganese rectify this,but to get the balance just right,testing is required. Depending on the severity people require varying amounts. Anyway, this is something else to explore.

DLIH 11-30-10 12:15 PM

A looonggggg time ago I went to an adminstrative assistance seminar. When confronted with employes or empoyERs who hurt you or make you angry, they suggested doing something that I always got a kick out of. (But you need to be very discreet doing it!)

Write the person's (or situation - doesnt have to be employees, or person, etc..can be anything) name on a posty note or little piece of paper or what have you. Stick it on the bottom of you shoe and mash down (or stomp) on it with your foot. You can do this for as long as you want... but again.. (use descretion they advise! lol) Lest someone sees their name on the piece of paper. I don't know if its necessarily a right way or a totally long term way of dealing with any anger issues.. but I've found when I did it, it made rather laugh than be angry anymore :D

27lights 11-30-10 12:47 PM

I listen to very loud music or practice on the guitar, and sometimes when it's really bad I tend to eat a lot.

Ghostnyourmidst 11-30-10 01:05 PM

Getting angry really pisses me off.:mad: LOL

It takes alot to make me angry, I'm really laid back but if you call down the thunder you better be prepaired to face the storm.:thumbsup:

Kuutar 11-30-10 01:09 PM

I curse better than pirate :biggrin:

Blue Girl 11-30-10 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLIH (Post 547740)
A looonggggg time ago I went to an adminstrative assistance seminar. When confronted with employes or empoyERs who hurt you or make you angry, they suggested doing something that I always got a kick out of. (But you need to be very discreet doing it!)

Write the person's (or situation - doesnt have to be employees, or person, etc..can be anything) name on a posty note or little piece of paper or what have you. Stick it on the bottom of you shoe and mash down (or stomp) on it with your foot. You can do this for as long as you want... but again.. (use descretion they advise! lol) Lest someone sees their name on the piece of paper. I don't know if its necessarily a right way or a totally long term way of dealing with any anger issues.. but I've found when I did it, it made rather laugh than be angry anymore :D

i love this. even just thinking about doing this makes me laugh. i'm going to have to remember this one :D

Flows 11-30-10 08:24 PM

I normally get worked up then hit the gym and see amazing results, Go for a long quiet walk on my own, talk to female friends about it...

Depends on the situation really, If someone really winds me up i'll end up throwing them all over the place.

iamaballerina 12-08-10 12:09 AM

For me, I shout out through my window. This is to remove the angst and anger in my heart. Afterward, listening to my favorite music to freshen up the feeling and mood. Sounds Good? Keep it a try.

strangeloop 01-19-11 10:56 AM

I deal with anger by:

going for a walk or run
counting to 100
going to bed!
listening to music, or thinking of a tune
sometimes I just laugh at my silly angry thoughts
if I'm in the car on my own, sometimes I scream!

I always just try to make space for myself when it happens. I usually manage to keep my mouth shut, which is a good thing, but sometimes I hit stuff (never people).

Personally, I disagree with the idea of anger being a good thing sometimes. Maybe a tiny tiny bit of anger, but anything more and I've taken leave of my senses

Venom 02-06-11 10:58 PM

smoke weed, take xanax, hit people in the mouth, throw shit

wish I could be as mellow as some of y'all.

(all above thoughts to not represent those of TTL. And if you hit somebody in the jaw you better know how to fight!)

brokenashes 02-07-11 02:34 AM

I just go quiet, stop talking to the one who made me angry, and shut them out of my life. And if they still keep on bugging me, then they get the taste of thunder. If i lose my temper, which i rarely do, then its bad news for those who made me angry.

sweet release 02-07-11 08:46 AM

i go wild and start snapping and being mad at everyone.

kind of un controlled

i do things that i regret later.

done it too many times- and sometimes i really feel ashamed that i did it.

like i've had a valuable item, broken because of my rage

mmch85 02-07-11 11:03 AM

Break things, fight people, listen to Filthy McNasty music.
I'm really trying not to fight, but sometimes people piss me off so bad they need to be put back in their place.
I can't control my anger sometimes, I have to isolate myself from people or I would end up with no friends.

I snapped my iPhone before in rage, slammed it on the edge of a table... What a waste of money

Lukeduke954 02-07-11 01:11 PM

I often find a problem with this and its often increased with alcohol as you can imagine. It has ruined many relationships in my life and something i still to this day do not have under control. Fustrating and very scary when you truly cannot control a feeling and it takes you over....

heartchic 02-07-11 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkCougar (Post 450776)
How do you deal with anger? More and more I find myself overwhelmed with anger. Mind you, not aggression, but a constant burning feeling of anger.

It has resulted in me breaking some of my favorite things merely because I had them near me at the time. It usually ends when I realize I've broken something that can't be replaced, and the anger turns to sadness.

Not to mention it that it gives me a massive art block (though, I wouldn't be surprised of the anger and the art block were resonating upon each other).

I hardly recognize myself like this.. :C

Do you guys know/use any helpful exercises to reduce this pointless feeling of anger and need for destruction?

i dont handle it well usually i verbally abuse family member, slam doors, throw things(not at people at walk or on floor)

sweet release 02-07-11 01:53 PM

the only thing i sometimes do is try and listen to my relaxing music.

but a lot of the time i can't cope- and the music just makes me want to cry

forpetessake 02-16-11 12:10 PM

play drums

Spaggy 02-16-11 02:25 PM

Maybe try a let out of your angry/negitive emotions like writing, screaming at a wall, or take up boxing or something. It might help release it...
For me personally I just have to be either talked out of it by a loved one or let me ride through it somehow in the saftey away from doing much damage to anyone. Although writing does help me. Counting doesn't. Sometimes having a joint is nice.

Keeping it bottled up is probably one of the worst things you could do.

sweet release 02-16-11 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaggy (Post 583988)
Maybe try a let out of your angry/negitive emotions like writing, screaming at a wall, or take up boxing or something. It might help release it...
For me personally I just have to be either talked out of it by a loved one or let me ride through it somehow in the saftey away from doing much damage to anyone. Although writing does help me. Counting doesn't. Sometimes having a joint is nice.

Keeping it bottled up is probably one of the worst things you could do.


i actually did think of boxing.

someone was telling me about hitting a punchbat- and i thought it was a great idea

next monday i get to try it out

Spaggy 02-17-11 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweet release (Post 584043)
i actually did think of boxing.

someone was telling me about hitting a punchbat- and i thought it was a great idea

next monday i get to try it out

Nice one, I think it's deffo worth a try at least. I've heard lots of people get their anger out at boxing, running, or the gym.
I hope it works and helps for you. Let us know how you find it!

heartchic 02-20-11 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkCougar (Post 450776)
How do you deal with anger? More and more I find myself overwhelmed with anger. Mind you, not aggression, but a constant burning feeling of anger.

It has resulted in me breaking some of my favorite things merely because I had them near me at the time. It usually ends when I realize I've broken something that can't be replaced, and the anger turns to sadness.

Not to mention it that it gives me a massive art block (though, I wouldn't be surprised of the anger and the art block were resonating upon each other).

I hardly recognize myself like this.. :C

Do you guys know/use any helpful exercises to reduce this pointless feeling of anger and need for destruction?

i totally am feeling this way too and i have thrown thins and pushed stuff over

junea9 10-22-11 01:47 AM

Take a long breathe when you get angry. Yoga really
helps to control mind when you are getting angry.

rainyday 10-22-11 08:26 AM

I run! On the treadmilll or go for a jog around the block! Gymming really helps me with mood regulation. Gymming with either angry music or upbeat stuff.

Ive broken my phone, photo frames etc...So i found an alternativeeee wayy!

Hope you find an alternativeeee wayyy!

Aries 10-22-11 11:54 AM

Take a pillow and just punch it.

hottea654 10-22-11 05:22 PM

rationalizing, writing, exercising, talking, [rest, food, and distractions].

tigerlover 08-27-17 04:58 AM

i went through anger bouts in my life...mostly about unjustice done towards me or to the world in general..bottling up anger is no good...i usually am not an agressive type..I try to make a fist in my pocket...in my whole life i have never gone to a shrink,never have been on antidepressive medication..

I believe in positive thinking,willpower,determination,and self investigation,self discovery..not easy...in september i met my present girlfriend online,we love discussions a lot,we talk,argue,discover each other and help eachother out..our friendship developped into love..I must say that's the strongest force one can feel in life

i wrote this somewhere about anger===
sometimes in my life i felt useless,worthless,prone to stress situations..
i bet all of us go through periods in our life circle that we are full of doubt about ourself,others,the world..stress is a main factor for bodily and mental problems..how do we handle it?fight it?anger in a way can be difficult to control,especially if we bottle it up..that bubble will burts one fine day.
i do like honesty..people who beat around the bush usually will pay a price for it later in life..perfection does not exist..that's why some of us feel useless..
and turn themselves away from the world they are forced to live in..
I did,by the way..and i am glad to say that leading a loners life..
gave me insight..not only in myself,but also towards the world,other people..
and in that aspect it reduced my stress factors..

SensualGirl 08-27-17 10:27 AM

I think anger is a healthy emotion if you can do something about it. I think it's either fight or flight. Anger alerts us to threats to our survival I suppose.

I'm angry at society because people have hurt me or said hurtful things and don't seem to care.

I deal with my anger by withdrawing in contempt and not talking to people. I try to say as little as humanly possible.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2