Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   OCD (https://www.takethislife.com/ocd/)
-   -   dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking) (https://www.takethislife.com/ocd/dermatillomania-compulsive-skin-picking-36365/)

fade2black 02-23-10 02:52 PM

dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking)

I have this, which my psyc says is OCD. Does anyone else do this? I feel so alone and disgusted with myself:( Why must I mutilate my body? If I finally let an area heal I am still full of the scars...

bizzykizzy 02-23-10 06:07 PM

i constantly am picking at the skin around my fingernail, not sure if that qualifies, maybe i just have a mad issue with biting my nails.

laneblade 02-26-10 09:24 AM

I used to pick and chew at the pads of my fingers until they bled. They didn't leave behind any scars or anything but my fingerprints were definitely less noticeable maybe even gone for a while. I don't know if this is what your talking about though.

Ghostnyourmidst 02-26-10 09:28 AM

My daughter does this, her arms have scars from it. I feel so helpless and even like it's my fault. I have somehow failed as a father.:frown:

autumn11 03-03-10 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizzykizzy (Post 410651)
i constantly am picking at the skin around my fingernail, not sure if that qualifies, maybe i just have a mad issue with biting my nails.

I do this too. It's kind of gross.. Over the years my fingers have started to develop scar tissue around my fingernails. I honestly find it almost impossible to stop, as I usually do it subconsciously and it puts me in a kind of trance, so I don't even really notice I'm doing it until someone points it out to me.

rain 05-16-10 11:07 AM

i do this too. I really hate it so much but i have been doing it for so long that i find it very difficult to stop. I do it when im feeling stressed and also do it when im sitting watching a film as its kinda comforting too. :confused:

imapest55 10-26-10 02:27 PM

I have been doing the same thing since I was about 10 years old I think. I am 23 now and I pick the skin on my hands, mostly at the tip of my fingers, around fingernails, even towards the edge of my palms near the fingers. Oftentimes I do it until I start bleeding from where I break the skin off. I think it stems from my depressions, which I only realized I had much later in my life. When I made the connection between depression and skin picking, I realized that I must have had some form of depression even as a child, or some form of event that affected me in such a way that I started picking my skin whenever I was nervous.

heartchic 11-14-10 08:03 PM

ive been biting my fingernails since i was 8 or 9 and occasionally like last couple of day i moved on to the skin around the nail . i feel so embarassed im going to lunch with a friend tomorrow and there no way of hiding it i mean i could put plasters on them but its like 5 fingers that are really bad

Aloneandsad 11-14-10 08:10 PM

I do it all the time, i pick at the littlest things on my arms until they bleed, and even then i still pick at them. My family keeps telling me to stop picking, i'll ruin my beautiful skin, but i can't help it:frown:

heartchic 11-15-10 06:47 PM

ive been getting a lot of pimples lately and i cant not pop them and then i want to pick the scabs too