Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Personality Disorders (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/)
-   -   personality disorders (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/personality-disorders-33206/)

lost hope 12-28-09 12:28 PM

personality disorders

Not sure if this is in the right place but i was just wondering if anyone feels or knows that they have a personality disorder? I know that borderline personality disorder is quite a recognised illness, i even worked with a girl who had it although she didn't stay for long. But i know there's a few others that i don't think are so recognised, and i was just wondering if anyone else thinks they fit the criteria for any of them. These are the ones i know of, if anyone knows of others add them on.

narcisstic personality disorder

avoidant personality disorder

paranoid personality disorder

antisocial personality disorder

schizoid personality disorder

dependant personality disorder

Apparently we all have some of these traits to some degree, but i think to actually have one of the disorders it has to have a detrimental effect on your life, relationships etc. There are tests on the net you can do, i seem to have a combination of a few of them but not sure if that actually means anything. Thanks xx

ButterflyChaos 12-28-09 12:42 PM

I'm borderline..
Don't know about the others tho, sorry.

lost hope 12-28-09 12:50 PM

do you think something triggered it butterfly, as i've read that it tends to be the case with borderlines. Not sure about the others though as you say, sorry if i'm being nosey don't feel you HAVE to answer i just find how early childhood experiences can affect us later in life. My mom had pnd and ptsd after my birth and i'm almost convinced it had a detrimental effect on me, although i know it wasn't her fault. :smile:x

DifferentUserName 12-28-09 01:22 PM

I used to believe the world revolved around me when I was age 12 to 14.
I don't know when I got over it but it was when I was 14.

My friend, when I was 13, was always telling me how he thought I should be reminded that I was quite self-centered lol until I realized it myself. He was persistent and stubborn about that issue and I hated him for making me realize so at the time. Now? I'm thankful for it.

Unlike him, my other friends were OK with me being self-centered and a snobby, horrible person who only thought of herself first. I'm glad I'm not that person anymore.

DifferentUserName 12-28-09 01:30 PM

Forgot to mention, I was stating that I used to have qualities relating to narcissism.

lost hope 12-28-09 01:57 PM

I think all teens go through that whole "world revolves around me" thing to be honest [diff] i don't think you're alone in that, but if you recognised it and changed it then you did well. It takes a lot of guts to accept criticism from others all be it constructive criticism, that's one thing i've always struggled with all my life and i'm a few years older than you are. As for narcissism, i think i've some traits too although i hate to say it. I think that may be one difficulty with many personality disorders, we find it hard to acknowledge or accept we have negative personality traits. I know i do and hate myself for it, and trying but failing miserably to change them. Thanks again anyway, nice to have any feedback :smile:

ButterflyChaos 01-02-10 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost hope (Post 379621)
do you think something triggered it butterfly, as i've read that it tends to be the case with borderlines. Not sure about the others though as you say, sorry if i'm being nosey don't feel you HAVE to answer i just find how early childhood experiences can affect us later in life. My mom had pnd and ptsd after my birth and i'm almost convinced it had a detrimental effect on me, although i know it wasn't her fault. :smile:x

Well, had a big breakdown three years ago where it really changed me, I might have been somewhat like this before, but honestly I can't remember. I can't remember the last three years so, it's hard to tell.
I kept everything inside until I eventually broke down and got on this rollercoasterride, keep seing things in black-or-white.
Not sure though.

lost hope 01-02-10 02:25 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences regarding your bpd, you have certainly been through a lot. I don't know much about bpd, but i hope you get lots of support and are able to manage it to some extent. We all know how hard it can be with these conditions that are so misunderstood by many, but talking to others who empathise can make it a little less daunting. Tc x

LostAndConfused 01-02-10 03:32 PM

I'm manic depressed. I go from the extreme of enthousiastic cheerfulness to the extreme of depression in the blink of an eye :)