Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Venting (https://www.takethislife.com/venting/)
-   -   Pain, it's what's for dinner. (https://www.takethislife.com/venting/pain-its-whats-dinner-287585/)

Ehisdi 06-20-18 09:09 PM

Pain, it's what's for dinner.

Been so sluggish lately, and so sore. Almost my entire back hurts, plus my left knee. That's not all, but that's the worst. Pshew!

It doesn't help no matter how much sleep I get, or when, I just feel so dead exhausted all the time...At least I still cook, some times, and take care of the garden, but not much else.

I've gotten good at making angelhair pasta with a parmesan, broccoli, cream sauce. I've even been cooking a lot with zucchini, since not a single pattipan or scallop came up. I've got lots of butternuts and pie pumpkins, and to save as much energy as possible, I'll forgo making crusts for the pies when winter comes, and just use my custard dishes. Yeah, it's a bit of work to deal with the bath, but it'll be a heck of a lot easier than messing with the crust.

Yeesh! It royally blows that no one wants to learn how to cook, nor cook with me, and that none of it really matters to them.

Also, I was hoping to have a game night, but they'd rather watch t.v.

So sore, and so bloody lonely. And to make it even more fun, I hurt so bad that I can't concentrate on a script I want to write/revamp.

Pshhhhh!

Ehisdi 06-23-18 10:14 PM

Today made two batches of spaghetti noodles. The whole wheat batch came out great, but the second batch of regular noodles came out a little grainy. So far they seem to be drying decently, so they may be fine. If I'm lucky, which doesn't seem to be the case, I'll attempt to make a spaghetti sauce out of the yellow pear tomatoes I have growing. There'd be a heck of a lot of them, but they seem to be taking their sweet time ripening. Meh, might be too much work, and it's rare that I feel physically able, to boot.

If I still feel good tomorrow morning I'll start making a few batches of bread. At least one rye and two Italian/French loaves. Hopefully some time soon, I'll get to work on Pate A Choux and make a few treats for my family. I've got plans for a banana cream and a chocolate cream filling for them. Plus, I have a few plans of modifying the cream recipes for freezing a few of them, too. (OOoooooh! It just crossed my mind, I could make a few with a coffee cream filling. That sounds awesome, heh).

Kinako 06-25-18 04:29 AM

Oooh, you're into cooking and baking! Sounds like we could have a lot to talk about! :) I work at a bakery for my job, but it's a bit difficult to bake anything at home because our oven is one of those awful electric convection oven/microwave deals. Sure, it heats things. You just can't really expect it to bake anything very well. XD

Did you bake that bread? How did it come out for you?

Kinako 06-25-18 04:32 AM

I know what you mean about not quite feeling up to it, even after having a cooking/baking epiphany. I do it a lot! Sometimes my energy is through the roof. Other times it's just nowhere to be found, so the idea has to wait a while. I guess I really have to be driven by a sense of comfort or nostalgia that comes from the recipe to really get on the ball when I'm tired.

I would love to be able to grow some tomatoes! I tried some baby ones last summer, but all I have is a north-facing veranda. It gets some sun, and I had a little bit of success, but they started dying back about mid-summer and I ended up having to cut it all down. The plant was growing, but no longer blossoming. Guess that's what comes from the ungodly heat. :) What else are you growing regularly?

Ehisdi 07-05-18 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinako (Post 2906057)
Oooh, you're into cooking and baking! Sounds like we could have a lot to talk about! :) I work at a bakery for my job, but it's a bit difficult to bake anything at home because our oven is one of those awful electric convection oven/microwave deals. Sure, it heats things. You just can't really expect it to bake anything very well. XD

Did you bake that bread? How did it come out for you?

I actually like electric stoves and ovens, however, some of the things I cook I really really could use gas, or at least a wood stove.

My body is quite tore up and I don't get to cook as often as I'd like. If I could, I'd have built one of those bread ovens outback a long time ago. I'm so tore up. 18 years of hell, but I've been doing a no-knead bread to make it a tad easier on my joints and muscles. Just haven't mastered it as of yet. The italian/french loaves come out way way too flat. Eh, it's not a problem, though. Makes the garlic bread so much more tastier, I think, heh.

Quote:

I would love to be able to grow some tomatoes! I tried some baby ones last summer, but all I have is a north-facing veranda. It gets some sun, and I had a little bit of success, but they started dying back about mid-summer and I ended up having to cut it all down. The plant was growing, but no longer blossoming. Guess that's what comes from the ungodly heat. :) What else are you growing regularly?
Well, I have two corsican gourds growing, I hope to get my creativity back, but it has been a good 10 years since I've been very creative.

As for edibles, I have two black diamond watermelon on the vines, several cantaloupe, lots of zucchini which my family is getting a little hostile because I've been using it way too often in food, heh. Some popcorn, pumpkin pie pumpkins, butternuts (which are my primary goal), cucumbers, and my wife got me to get a carolina reaper and ghost pepper for our boy, which I really have no need for except for him, O_o.

Ungodly heat, heh, where I live we're just a tad shy of desert heat. Normally it's exasperatingly dry here, but hasn't been so severe this year, knock on wood. Though, the heat doesn't let my rhubarb grow worth a darn, which totally blows. Meh, I just don't feel up to cooking too much anyway. So bloody sore, that I've made plans when I make pumpkin and butternut pies this winter, I'm going to say to hell with it and make them in custard dishes instead of making the crust. The only crummy thing is I make a damn good crust, c'est la vie.