Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   School (https://www.takethislife.com/school/)
-   -   College = the worst years of my life (https://www.takethislife.com/school/college-worst-years-my-life-269690/)

Black Sheep 04-12-17 10:35 PM

College = the worst years of my life

It seems like I'm the only one who feels this way. I didn't have the typical college experience... the drinking, partying, hookups, friends, relationships and personal growth. I didn't have any of it. Nearly all of my time has was spent on schoolwork and solitary activities. I'm glad that the semester is almost over, but I don't know how I can possibly endure 2 - 3 more years of this place. Switching majors and dropping were the biggest mistakes I ever made. I could have been out of this prison already.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this. Convince me that it gets better. If these are supposed to be the best years of life, you might as well put a bullet in my head.

elguapo 04-13-17 02:20 AM

No you're not ther only one. I hated being at university. It seemed like such a total waste of time although quitting would have been worse. So I felt trapped there. Utterly miserable

Black Sheep 04-14-17 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elguapo (Post 2636722)
No you're not ther only one. I hated being at university. It seemed like such a total waste of time although quitting would have been worse. So I felt trapped there. Utterly miserable

Have things gotten any better since? If so, how?

Lost45 04-16-17 09:50 PM

Hi Black Sheep. Can I just ask you what is your major now? And what was it when you started college?
PS I hope I didn't hurt your feelings in any way. If you don't want to talk about it I understand.

Black Sheep 04-16-17 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost45 (Post 2637818)
Hi Black Sheep. Can I just ask you what is your major now? And what was it when you started college?

Hey Lost45,
I started out in biomedical science and I'm doing business/accounting now. I tried a lot of other stuff in between. I always did well but couldn't stick it out.

Quote:

PS I hope I didn't hurt your feelings in any way. If you don't want to talk about it I understand
No, not at all. :smile: What made you think that?

lucid lunacy 04-17-17 01:25 AM

College definitely isn't what you see in the movies or tv. It's a lot of studying, eating the cheapest, barely edible food on the planet and getting crippling debt for at least a decade of your life (although that last one can vary greatly depending on where you live). There isn't time for much else and those that do spend all their time partying spend the rest of the time failing their course which gets slightly expensive at 20-30k a year.

The reason it's generally considered the best years of ones life is that you have all the liberties of adulthood but few responsibilities. No morgage, no children, etc so you are free to spend the majority of you money on personal expenses rather than say saving $1000 for your kid's dental care, for some kind of special camp for them or having to spend an unexpected 15k on your sceptic disposal field. You can still generally expect your parents to bail you out if you do something stupid or mismanage money but once you are past those "best years", you'll be the one expected to do it.

I suppose there's little comfort in that. Reality generally isn't fun unfortunately.

SensualGirl 04-17-17 08:45 AM

College sucked for me. At first it was dreamy. I had a beautiful single dorm room in what looked like a gorgeous plantation house with a balcony and porch. There were beautiful girls, sexy fraternity men, parties, alcohol, and of course, no parents.

Soon it turned into nothing but drama and heartache. I dragged myself to the finish line. I had to take two semesters of medical leave for severe depression and wasn't allowed to return to the university unless I got a note from a therapist saying I was ready to come back. I just happened to go to a crisis center by accident on my way to the same lousy therapist. I got lost and went there. There, they prescribed me Zoloft and Risperdal and got me a decent therapist. That's why I came back and did well. If I hadn't gone to the crisis center, I would probably have still been depressed and I wouldn't have graduated. A chance to a big ten school, turning into going to a community college with 60K debt already and no way to pay for it?? That would have been a nightmare. Maybe there IS a God.

I will say this: the last semester was one of my best times in life. And I had zero friends and no boyfriend or hookups. I took interesting classes, exercised a lot, did yoga, volunteered, ate healthy, and went to a good social worker for therapy.

Take note.

Black Sheep 04-17-17 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucid lunacy (Post 2637850)
College definitely isn't what you see in the movies or tv. It's a lot of studying, eating the cheapest, barely edible food on the planet and getting crippling debt for at least a decade of your life (although that last one can vary greatly depending on where you live). There isn't time for much else and those that do spend all their time partying spend the rest of the time failing their course which gets slightly expensive at 20-30k a year.

The reason it's generally considered the best years of ones life is that you have all the liberties of adulthood but few responsibilities. No morgage, no children, etc so you are free to spend the majority of you money on personal expenses rather than say saving $1000 for your kid's dental care, for some kind of special camp for them or having to spend an unexpected 15k on your sceptic disposal field. You can still generally expect your parents to bail you out if you do something stupid or mismanage money but once you are past those "best years", you'll be the one expected to do it.

I suppose there's little comfort in that. Reality generally isn't fun unfortunately.

well, I don't have access to those "liberties" anyway. I don't get to spend money recklessly because my parents aren't in any position to bail me out. Nor would I expect them to. Sounds like something only rich/socially privileged people would know about. Also, a lot of those responsibilities you mentioned (i.e. raising children) are choices. You always hear people bitch about taking care of their kids and how much they miss being single and carefree. It's like, why the fuck did you decide to start a family then?

If that was really the only thing that made these years so special, I might look forward to the future. After all, I would just have to get a full-time job and live with my parents as long as possible and everything would be great. I suspect it's more than that though.

elguapo 04-18-17 03:50 AM

Well I don't have to study things that I feel are irrelevant. I don't have the pressure of assignments or exams - unless I choose to.
I've got a job - the whole point of university was to help me get a job. That isn't being put off - I'm there. Although of course that has it's own issues.
I have to be around fewer people and if they piss me off too much i can always change jobs or quit.
I'm not constantly faced with expectation of loving every minute of my life, having loads of sex and getting pissed all the time. None of which happened when I was a student.
I feel like I have more control of my life, although that may be illusory - I certainly have plenty of problems now.
I know that for me dropping out would have been a very big mistake even though i hated every minute. It was something i had to endure.

Lost45 04-18-17 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Sheep (Post 2637834)
Hey Lost45,
I started out in biomedical science and I'm doing business/accounting now. I tried a lot of other stuff in between. I always did well but couldn't stick it out.

Hey! Medical science and business - accounting are two very different subjects. And I think that you have tried everything in between too. Also I think that if you have an aptitude for one you can't have the same aptitude for the other. Have your decisions about your subjects have been sometimes influenced by your parents or someone around you? Have you finally found the subject that you like or you are comfortable doing? It's like I am having a lot of trouble choosing my subject.
And another thing, would you choose college over course or course over college?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Sheep (Post 2637834)
No, not at all. :smile: What made you think that?

I had always thought that you hated college because you hated your subjects. And I never saw a post about your subject. So I thought that you didn't like to discuss that.