Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Exercising (https://www.takethislife.com/exercising/)
-   -   Anti-Depressants and Donating Blood/Plasma (https://www.takethislife.com/exercising/anti-depressants-donating-blood-plasma-24781/)

Les Miserables 06-06-09 06:56 AM

Anti-Depressants and Donating Blood/Plasma

I don't know if there are any nurses on this board or if anyone knows but can you donate blood/plasma on ALL anti-depressants especally plasma. Now I've donated blood on trazodone, celexa and klonopin and none of the nurses rejected me. I recently started taking Abilify so I haven't donate on that yet. So I have not idea if you'll be rejected or not.

Now plasma might be treated differently. So the question is, does anyone know if you can donate plasma while on the above mentioned medications? In my city....not sure if this is true in all cities....they pay big bucks for plasma. I could make $300 in one weeks time of donating and you have to donate up to three times during that week to get that amount. Within a month you could make good money. I've maxed out my credit card and my bank account is almost dry. Figured I could make money and help save a life at the same time. I just don't want to cause health issues because of my meds.

ManOrMouse 06-06-09 02:39 PM

your blood shouldnt be rejected. Cuase i have donated blood twice on anti depressants. Fuck i new a girl who did lots and lots of drugs including dope, and shes on anti depressants as well. (her blood was really dark) but they didnt deny it, as far as i know.

your meds shouldnt cause health issues if you asked me, but im not giving hte final answer here since im not sure.

ManOrMouse 06-06-09 02:40 PM

and if they thought the blood was bad, they just wouldnt use it, which sucks cuase its like a waste.

Lectriczingers 06-06-09 03:11 PM

To my knowledge, they only deny blood if you have a bloodborne disease, or live with someone who does. My dad had Hepatits C (the kind that is only contagious through blood transmission).... and I was not allowed to donate blood because I lived with him and it was considered too much of a risk.

At least that's what I recall....

If they refused everyone who was on a medication... nobody would be allowed to donate blood.

Les Miserables 06-06-09 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lectriczingers (Post 285011)
To my knowledge, they only deny blood if you have a bloodborne disease, or live with someone who does. My dad had Hepatits C (the kind that is only contagious through blood transmission).... and I was not allowed to donate blood because I lived with him and it was considered too much of a risk.

At least that's what I recall....

If they refused everyone who was on a medication... nobody would be allowed to donate blood.

You may have a point there. Thanks and thanks to ManorMouse for your response as well

totallyamazed 06-06-09 08:30 PM

It won't be an issue at the center les...LZ is right...it is blood born desease that gets you rejected.

My Husband has done it on occassion...Here in my area you can donate twice a week and make up to 150.00 a week...It has paid for groceries more than once LOL...

Sweet Denial 06-06-09 10:49 PM

Twice a week? You can only donate every six weeks... Twice a week isn't anywhere near enough time for the body to be able to regenerate the blood loss from the previous donation.

Les, this link might help you. It's got requirements for donating blood. Hoxworth Blood Center | University of Cincinnati

Sweet Denial 06-06-09 10:51 PM

Wait... Sorry. I was wrong. You have to wait 56 days (8 weeks) to donate again. >.> My bad.

Venom 06-06-09 11:10 PM

Na that's for whole blood, for plasma you can go twice a week. I do it now. Pay sucks, but it's money for sitting back and watching a movie in caption and letting them siphon your life liquids. I knew crackheads that did the same thing. Don't matter what's in your blood as long as it's clean.

strawberry bitch 06-07-09 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 285169)
I knew crackheads that did the same thing. Don't matter what's in your blood as long as it's clean.

ahhahh!! good to know!