Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Eating Disorders (https://www.takethislife.com/eating-disorders/)
-   -   no interest in food (https://www.takethislife.com/eating-disorders/no-interest-food-23521/)

purrbucket 04-27-09 09:37 PM

no interest in food

Latley, I just have no interest in food (even though im a stoner :eek: ). Like my stomach growls but I dont feel hungry. And when I dicide to eat something its just cause I know I am sopposed to. And when I do feel hungry for things Im always craving sweets. Dont know that this is really an eating disorder, but im just looking for some thoughts on what it may be.

lovemeknot 04-28-09 03:00 PM

do you have any idea what could've caused your lack of interest?

from experience, i will give you this advice. until you get your interest back you should drink a meal alternative like ensure (i recommend vanilla b/c i found the other flavors had an odd metallic taste, and i found it better to drink it over ice). i was anorexic/bulimic for 3 years and when your body is malnourished you can get some very unpleasant side effects such as mood swings, lack of concentration, hair loss, growing hair in odd places, and that's just to name a few.

purrbucket 05-04-09 11:06 PM

thank you for your reply. I have no idea what made me lose interest in eating. started a couple weeks ago, and has happened to me off and on for a few years. Just nothing sounds good. I guess the way I would describe it is that eating seems like a chore. Like lately ive felt the same about eating as I would about taking out the trash or doing laundry. I dont know.

Your idea is great, but I just dont think it will help me. Like even when Im eating regulary, I really dont drink much. Ever since I can remember Ive never really drank much, so those drinks would be a hard habit to get into.

Scarling 05-05-09 07:36 AM

I know you say you don't drink much, but smoothies help me greatly. You do have to make a conscious effort to do it though - say you realize you've not eaten for six, seven, eight hours. At that point you tell yourself you *will* have a smoothie, even if you don't feel like it. And make yourself have it. I find it easier to handle mentally than a full meal, but I know I am getting important nutrients, vitamins, minerals and calories that the body requires simply to stay alive.

strawberry bitch 05-05-09 06:19 PM

are you taking any antidepressants?? beacuse it will do that ...idk

i once told my doctor why i always craved sweets and carbs more than anything and he said that actually they have the same effect in our brain like alcohol do and that it actually was pretty common among depressed or anxious ppl... we feel its conforting..

hope u get better :rolleyes:

((((hugs))))

ManOrMouse 05-05-09 07:26 PM

i had this same problem being a stoner too i was surprised. I smoke cigs too which doesnt help. I found what does help, is to eat large meals and just eat when ever the idea of eating comes into your head, just to get past not eating. If you drink a lot of water or a lot of soda it helps to get you hungry. Or if you eat a little bit before you start eating, it helps get your matabolism going so you will be able to eat more in a minute or so. Medication can do it, i was always so stress out and anxiety riddled i just wouldnt want to eat. I starved myself. im still doing it some times and im still trying to get a little thickness to me. hope i could have been of help

lovemeknot 05-06-09 12:27 AM

i'm very sorry about your situation. well, at least take a multi-vitamin with some water. that will help. you won't be able to figure this out if your mind and your body deteriorate. i really hope you feel better soon and please take care of yourself :D

it could quite possible be the very beginning of bulimia or compulsive over-eating disorder since you are craving "comfort foods". do you feel out of control in a part of your life? eating disorders are more about control than they are body image. it could be your body trying to tell you something that you have been suppressing. eating disorders are also seen as coping mechanisms, i know i used to switch between my E.D. and cutting. it could quite possibly be an eating disorder, or it could be a med you're taking like SB suggested.

athena 05-07-09 01:12 PM

Im the same. Just no appetite for food. When im hungry and i know i should eat something, i go through lots of choices in my head - and not one sounds like something i want past my lips! I describe it to my friends like when they are stuffed full of food, and someone goes 'have another bite' and you cant literally stomach swallowing another bit. Thats what its like for me, just without the full stomach first!

I have IBS and for a while everything i ate just made me feel sick. I couldnt find my trigger, so i just cut most things out. I've turned myself off food basically. Its not about weight or control. I dont really fully know what its all about...but i feel ya!

SlowlyDieing 05-22-09 02:29 PM

Over the past maybe year to 2 years i have been struggling with eating as well. I am 19 , have been smoking weed everyday since i was 14 and am a freshman in college.Depression has been an on and off thing for me and eating also seems like a chore. I feel like a walking bag of bones and have lost about 15 pounds since highschool, im a measely 120 pounds and 5 foot 6.

ive been in denial for awhile but i know it has something to do with smoking weed all the time. Its more of an addiction for me then something that makes me feel good like a nice cold beer. I just wish i could eat again, food just doesnt look as delicious anymore....