Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Grieving (https://www.takethislife.com/grieving/)
-   -   Anzac day (https://www.takethislife.com/grieving/anzac-day-23445/)

Delta40 04-25-09 05:34 PM

Anzac day

Gallipoli and the Anzacs | Australians in war | World War 1

Fyi

I hate war and when I was younger I joined in the protests - I used to love the ones where paint bombs got thrown at the US nuclear warships!

I still hate war and I always will. But as I get older I realise that war is something bigger than I will ever be and it is as much out of my control as it is of the people who go off and fight.

I believe I owe the men and women who served this country - many laying down their lives, a few tears and a few moments of heart felt respect.

ThePainInside 04-25-09 05:39 PM

I was wondering what Anzac day was about. So, you guys celebrate the end of WW1? I wonder if that's done here in the States?

Delta40 04-25-09 05:59 PM

Yeah we do but the Anzac Day Parades are big and embrace all returned servicemen and women from all wars which Australia has participated in.

ThePainInside 04-25-09 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta40 (Post 266893)
Yeah we do but the Anzac Day Parades are big and embrace all returned servicemen and women from all wars which Australia has participated in.

So WW2 and Vietnam also?

timmy13 04-25-09 08:43 PM

yeah, its a big deal here..
(im from australia) aswell as the boer war, korean etc..any ware we have sent people to is celebrated

Delta40 04-25-09 09:39 PM

Hey True Blue, don't say you've gone
Say you've knocked off for a smoko
And you'll be back later on
Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue

Smoko
To 'knock off for a smoko' is to have a break for a coffee, tea or cigarette.

Give it to me straight
Face to face
Are you really disappearing,
Just another dying race,
Hey True Blue.

True Blue
Steadfast loyal Australian who displays the Aussie ideals of a fair go for all, mateship, having a go, and solving problems.
True Blue, is it me and you?
Is it Mum and Dad, is it a cockatoo?
Is it standing by your mate
When he's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...

Hey True Blue, can you bear the load?
Will you tie it up with wire,
Just to keep the show on the road?
Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue, now be Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum
Virtually the same as True Blue - honest, reliable, trustworthy, dinki-di; someone who has embraced the Aussie attitudes to everything, especially mateship. 'Are you fair dinkum?' means 'are you telling the truth?'

Is your heart still there?
If they sell us out like sponge cake
Do you really care?
Hey True Blue.

When she's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...
When he's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue ... True Blue.

quarantine 04-27-09 12:56 AM

hi
Yes all the anazs soldiers who fought and died deserve respect and should be remembered forever
Q:redface:

Delta40 04-27-09 12:59 AM

I wish I'd gone to the parade and not my parents stupid bbq.

Sorry Diggers. I was thinking of you

hottea654 05-04-09 05:14 PM

I thank you, for all the service men and women who have served in peace times, in war times, and sacrificed. All of them have sacrificed, even those who have come home. I am done with my time in service. My sister is in Iraq. My grandfather was in Korea. For all of your men and women who have come home dead or alive, and all those who were never accounted for or who remain in captivity.... your thoughts are appreciated.

~Tea