Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Exercising (https://www.takethislife.com/exercising/)
-   -   Meal Replacements anyone? (https://www.takethislife.com/exercising/meal-replacements-anyone-23177/)

MaFille 04-19-09 03:57 PM

Meal Replacements anyone?

Does anyone use Meal replacement shakes as a way of life?.. I dont mean not eating.. but proven, well balanced, chalked full of nutrients type meal replacments. I am interested in trying this; I would drink a shake for breakfast, lunch and eat a balanced dinner.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I am desperate to lose weight, and fell better in my own skin!

SuicideBlonde23 04-19-09 05:40 PM

I had a lot of stomach issues a while back, and trying meal replacements was one of those temporary fixes i was trying. it does help me, but i can only keep with it from time to time lol ( i love to eat haha) i think its fine to substitute breakfast with a shake, and maybe (but i say maybe lol) lunch as long as you make sure u get that well balanced dinner. and id make sure this stays temporary. i lost weight with this, but not intentionally, and be careful because the nutrition in the drinks are still not the same as a balanced meal. i would say maybe try substituting every other day, but not doing this every single day. those are just my thoughts on this! :)

MaFille 04-19-09 06:54 PM

Thank you so much for your input.... I bought the Slim Fast Strawberry Shake mix, I will see how that goes. I absolutely have to eat bfast, so I will most likely be doing the shake at lunch (my lunches are pretty pathetic) and eat a balanced dinner... I will check in to chronicle the progress is there is any.... :)

wilrader 04-20-09 12:16 PM

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but after I run/exercise in the morning I typically wait about an hour and then I have a strawberry protein shake mixed in milk and some plain oatmeal cooked in just water. It's bland, but it is quick and easy.

MaFille 04-20-09 01:26 PM

Hi again.. Just thought Id update on Day 1 lol
Just for clarification, I am not drinking protein shakes as these are simply to add protein to your diet, I am drinking meal replacement shakes (26 vitamins) instead of eating.

So... Bfast: I had a SlimFast Shake (added raspberries) drank half... :S
Bottle of water
Lunch: I had a SlimFast Shake (added raspberries and a banana) YUM!
Snack: 1 tomato, 1 apple
Bottle of water
Dinner: Skinless. boneless Chicken Breast with Steamed Brocolli and Beans (Green and Yellow)

Im acutally finding myself fighting with my brain and not my hunger. Its like my brain is telling me to EAT, since technically I didnt, I drank... I am not hungry at all, but still wanting food! Now Im beginning to see tha habit.. I think this just might work....EEEEkkkkk!

wilrader 04-20-09 03:01 PM

Oh yeah, guess I should have mentioned that I take a multi-vitamin also. *shrugs*

Not necessarily to ADD protein, simply used as a SOURCE of protein, like eggs or bacon would be. Technically, though, half-scoop of protein powder in 2 cups of low-fat milk and 2/3rd cup oatmeal cooked in water is a perfectly balanced meal of protein, fat, and carbs running in a 40-30-30 split. Throw in the multi-vitamin and I'd be very tempted to call it a complete meal replacement.

Not exactly sure the purpose of using a meal replacement shake as a replacement for a meal 2/3rds of your day, though. Seems kind of... quick and easy but... the best things in life are neither quick nor easy.

Either way, good luck, and keep us updated. :)

SuicideBlonde23 04-20-09 04:29 PM

sounds yummy and you had a good healthy dinner!! i know personally i felt sick and a little woozy when i had meal replacement shakes so im glad to hear ur doing ok with it. (plus eating is my stress reliever lol so i'd get in a pissy mood from not eating hahaha)

Lectriczingers 04-20-09 04:38 PM

I often just don't want to eat food... I drink slim fast shakes everyday for breakfast and lunch. sometimes they are the only food I really want. the Chocolate royale flavor is pretty good. I have to admit.... sometimes I even make them with water instead of milk (the milk makes me gag).... and they still taste alright.

And they keep me pretty healthy, too. I have one shake for breakfast, a double dose for lunch, and a moderate dinner. I don't miss the large quantities of food I used to eat, not one bit.

I lost a lot of weight.... wish I could say it was due to diet and exercise but that is another story for another thread. tangential at best.

lz

MaFille 04-20-09 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilrader (Post 264658)
Oh yeah, guess I should have mentioned that I take a multi-vitamin also. *shrugs*

Not necessarily to ADD protein, simply used as a SOURCE of protein, like eggs or bacon would be. Technically, though, half-scoop of protein powder in 2 cups of low-fat milk and 2/3rd cup oatmeal cooked in water is a perfectly balanced meal of protein, fat, and carbs running in a 40-30-30 split. Throw in the multi-vitamin and I'd be very tempted to call it a complete meal replacement.

Not exactly sure the purpose of using a meal replacement shake as a replacement for a meal 2/3rds of your day, though. Seems kind of... quick and easy but... the best things in life are neither quick nor easy.

Either way, good luck, and keep us updated. :)

Im not planning on following this for the rest of my life, I wanted to do it so really see when and why I eat....already on the first day I see that I tend to snack more between 2-4pm! Today I noticed thinking.. Hmmm.. I want to snack... but then realized, Im not hungry!! It was interesting!! lol

I wont be following the program to the T persay... I was going to do 2 out of the 3 meals for 2 days, then do only bfast shake, then a day off (still watching calorie intake) and back to 2, then 1 then off..

Well see... Ive also started drinking water, something I havent really been good at.! By 5 pm I had a headache and realized it was a caffeine withdrawl, I hadnt had a pepsi yet ...so I had one.... and still stayed under 1100 calories! ..

Thanks to everyone for posting, its really helpful and encouraging knowing ppl know Im doing this, its like Im accountable in some odd way! :tongue:

timmy13 04-20-09 07:43 PM

when i was in hospital...i had meal replacement drinks...because my body wasnt handeling food..(its what annorexic people given when they first check in)

but before it..i had shakes...and it suited me for breakfast and a snack each day:) aswell as a decent dinner you didnt need to much food..(average day for me...breakfast: shake lunch: sandwich and water dinner: meat..with vegtables or fresh salad. and snack between breakfast and lunch a shake.)

and it kept me going for abbit...but i lost weight..a heap...so dont do it forever...but for a little bit you'll be fine:)