Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Book Club (https://www.takethislife.com/book-club/)
-   -   Anybody else not like Jane Austen? (https://www.takethislife.com/book-club/anybody-else-not-like-jane-austen-22895/)

boulevard-traveler 04-12-09 11:20 PM

Now that I think about it, I guess the Secret Garden has some elements of Gothic in it...

Classic Gothic include works like Frankenstein, Dracula, The Monk, The Castle of Otranto, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, to name a few.

Delta40 04-12-09 11:37 PM

Even the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe had one big old house! Still I don't mind the genre so much as long as I like the book.

sundaymornin 04-15-09 05:53 PM

I like a little Southern Gothic, myself.

sundaymornin 04-15-09 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta40 (Post 260708)
Disgrace by Jim Coetzee. That also won an award.

I just noticed this. Have you read his Foe? I have it on my shelf, but haven't gotten to it yet.

boulevard-traveler 04-15-09 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundaymornin (Post 262228)
I like a little Southern Gothic, myself.

Have you read Flannery O'Connor?

Delta40 04-15-09 06:46 PM

No I haven't read any more of his books. I haven't been treating myself to reading. I read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and the sequel. That was a good read. A long read. How people's entire lives do really revolve around the church in medieval England. The characters were wonderful. He brought this era so true to life yet if he threw in a couple of dragons it would have stepped into the realm of fantasy!

sundaymornin 04-16-09 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boulevard-traveler (Post 262254)
Have you read Flannery O'Connor?

I've read everything I could find of hers... Wise Blood, The Violent Bear it Away, Collected Stories, Mystery and Manners (essay collection)

If there's more out there, I'll get to it eventually.

boulevard-traveler 04-16-09 02:54 PM

I like O'Connor, especially A Good Man is Hard to Find

sundaymornin 04-16-09 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boulevard-traveler (Post 262666)
I like O'Connor, especially A Good Man is Hard to Find

That's probably the one that got me hooked on her. Either that or Everything That Rises Must Converge.

Juno 07-24-09 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta40 (Post 260640)

I feel the same way about Jane Eyre.

I'm sure you meant to write Charlotte Bronte. What Jane Austin and the Brontes did was inspiring, regardless of opinion of their output (but really, Jane Eyre sucks ass). In a time when women were relegated to second class citizens, they struck a blow for equality - even if they had to pretend to be men.