Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Other Hobbies (https://www.takethislife.com/other-hobbies/)
-   -   How did you get a hobby? (https://www.takethislife.com/other-hobbies/how-did-you-get-hobby-220017/)

everybodygtfo 09-05-15 08:39 PM

How did you get a hobby?

I'm so low right now that I don't have a hobby. How did you go about getting a hobby, especially a social hobby?

All I do is clean my house and chase after three kids. I'm not sure I have an identity anymore.

Shacke 09-06-15 11:30 AM

Well, my hobi is drawing, so I found it out on the usual way. When I was a kid, dad showed me how to draw, and, well year later I was much better at it than him. I don‘t think this is helpful, but you asked :biggrin:

DPG1 10-15-16 01:41 AM

Look around and see what there is that you enjoy doing. As for it being social, try not to worry about that as hobbies tend to lead to social interaction in time.

Black Sheep 10-16-16 12:45 AM

my hobbies consist of playing video games, watching TV/movies, and listening to music. I discovered these hobbies as a result of having no social life. So yeah... fuck my life.

hottea654 11-02-16 01:32 PM

I think the how of it is that you do something that you think, "I like this" when you do it, and repeat the doing of it. It's something fun usually, not like folding socks or making sure all the crumbs are off the counter. Maybe it's taking a walk and identifying all the trees on the block, or taking photos of flowers, or drawing, or making foods from different cultures and cuisines. You could start stretching and doing some kinds of basic exercise/health routine and decide that health and fitness is your hobby. Maybe it's altering cloths so that they fit you and your imagination, or making costumes or painting faces, working on different hairstyles, reading books... The list is long and possibly endless. You get them by starting them and then realizing that they work for you. You don't have to be good at them when you start and you don't have to spend a lot of money to do them. You just have to like them and the goodness comes with time. That's my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Pinarello 03-12-17 08:43 AM

I got into my hobby through perseverance and penny pinching.

When I was 17 I purchased my first racing bicycle and gear ( (think $2500+). A few months went by and I was really getting into the sport. My split times on the 25km loop were getting faster and faster. Then one day my bike was stolen from the store room, which had a kryptonite lock secured to a D ring bolted to the wall..

It took me an entire year before I took the plunge and bought another racing bike (around the same price and quality). That was four years ago.

It has been an expensive and frustrating start but now I am enjoying my rides whenever I get the opportunity. I enjoy maintaining it with a level of ocd that only usually occurs at work, which also means it is going to last a while yet. I have turned down a few offers to tag along with the local group - I prefer riding by myself. Its my time, my zone and nobody can disturb me.

Mazed 06-14-17 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinarello (Post 2619514)
I got into my hobby through perseverance and penny pinching.

When I was 17 I purchased my first racing bicycle and gear ( (think $2500+). A few months went by and I was really getting into the sport. My split times on the 25km loop were getting faster and faster. Then one day my bike was stolen from the store room, which had a kryptonite lock secured to a D ring bolted to the wall..

It took me an entire year before I took the plunge and bought another racing bike (around the same price and quality). That was four years ago.

It has been an expensive and frustrating start but now I am enjoying my rides whenever I get the opportunity. I enjoy maintaining it with a level of ocd that only usually occurs at work, which also means it is going to last a while yet. I have turned down a few offers to tag along with the local group - I prefer riding by myself. Its my time, my zone and nobody can disturb me.

I enjoy bicycles. Not like you. I'm not into competition. I like to ride almost any terrain. I've a few designs that I'm hoping to build; a two wheeled upright and a recumbent design. I'm thinking of velomobiles but as yet no complete design. I'm just looking for the faster ride...just me and my bike. So I'm more into alterations. I wish I had more experience with quality parts. I wish I had more money, too. :biggrin:

mojekolejki 03-05-18 05:43 AM

childhood

Maybe try to recall your childhood and what you liked.

EmpatheticThoughts 03-05-18 01:45 PM

I had to train myself to watch shows again. I like Netflix now, but I had to make goals to commit to watching a certain amount of shows in a period. Sounds nuts, but I am serious. It's helped because I actually enjoying watching them now. It didn't start out that way. I try to keep up with at least 3 shows per year now. Definitely helps! Start out by learning how to make time for yourself. You have to do that first.