Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Personality Disorders (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/)
-   -   Borderline Personality Disorder (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/borderline-personality-disorder-21929/)

ozzycat 03-19-09 07:57 PM

Borderline Personality Disorder

my therapist thinks i have this disorder along with my anxiety and depression, only it's mostly common in adults so she cant really "diagnose me." i've read through the symptoms. sounds like me :frown:

i just want to know does anyone else suffer from this?
or think they might?

again, it's called borderline personality disorder...

Delta40 03-19-09 08:13 PM

really? Hey ozzy. I think Sybil posted some info a while back on this.

NIMH Borderline Personality Disorder

There you go. My daughter was semi-diagnosed and I got all up in arms about it but thats another story. Be careful when reading material about BPD because I found it was very ambiguous and broad in its interpretation. This means you could very easily apply it and self-diagnose with certainty. Caution is advised

totallyamazed 03-19-09 08:31 PM

I've heard of it but I really am not informed enough to stay anything about it :( Sorry!

I hope you find some answers :)

(((((((((((((Ozzy))))))))))))

Blue Girl 03-19-09 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta40 (Post 247871)
Be careful when reading material about BPD because I found it was very ambiguous and broad in its interpretation. This means you could very easily apply it and self-diagnose with certainty. Caution is advised

it seems broad to me, too, but i'm no doctor.. . and even your dr said she can't "diagnose" you with it. . .

sybil08 03-24-09 05:52 AM

yea, i have it...

It is a vague disorder...but if you got it you know it I think.
I mean for the stereotype of the disorder you're looking at extreme temprement and depressiveness/suicidal etc.

But as a person experiencing it, you do know the temprement is not just loosing your cool, but deep rooted hurt, pain etc. Of course if you lash out on the emotions it just seems like a tempremental person so you can't blame the stereotype. But that's what makes it a stereotype too, its quite generalized.

But the medical descriptions I read consider it as a lack of 'emotional skin' at birth, so everything affects people with BPD and over your lifetime you form various defenses to survive the external factors. I think of it like a squeeze ball (you knwo the stress relief ones) it can be dented, etc. but it bounces right back, the only thing is if you look closely there are cracks in the surface and slowly it'll break.

So basically no emotional skin, form defenses to bounce back against life and over time depending on the life you're living that could stabilize and be ok, or it could cause co-occuring disorders which are usually depression, anxiety, bi-polar etc. but that's why its vague because the development differs from person to person as well. They do have a good idea of the various types of directions it can take though from what i read.

Anyway, your doc can't diagnose you with it? How old are you?? Cause usually BPD will go nuts in your twenties...

As a person with it some common descirptions i read - and felt - are a lack of sense of self, not really being connected to people and things, or else forming extreme attachments. Black and white thinking, idealization and devaluation of people (high expectations and standards), anger etc. Instable relationships, feelings of life being constantly plagued with problems etc.

I know for me I only got depressed at 16, because that's when i felt depressive. But my entire life I did have a gut feeling I'd be a depressive person, or some issues would happen. I never thought I'd live to see 18. And I even cut, had an obsession with suicide etc. from a VERY young age - but the thing is befor this past November I honestly always thought it was my personality type, that maybe i'm more the goth person or something...but in fact i'm bubbly and out-going loud, bright etc. so you get an idea, i'm a confused person lol.

anyway i hope this gives you an idea...i'm nto on the boards much but feel free to pm me anytime k.

sorry Ozzy, I know it does feel like you don't quite know yourself when someone tells you your personality might be the problem...but I promise the more you read and stuff you'll realize its manageable. In fact BPD patients appear so competent they've had cases of therapists and patients thinking the person was cured. I know not very comforting, but it means you'll be resourceful, so no matter what, you'll get through it...

i hope you're not too scared or anything. :)

sybil08 03-24-09 05:54 AM

There are a few other members who have this too btw.

silent cry 03-24-09 09:01 AM

i remember readin gup on it once before too, and i could relate to a lot of what it was saying.. so ive often thought that i might have this... but again- i havent been diagnosed with it

Tears of Stone 03-27-09 09:03 PM

they diagnosed me with this when i was sectioned but i think they were just trying to pigeon hole me. idk if i still have it no one's said about it since and that was nearly 18months ago.

Juno 03-27-09 09:09 PM

Quote:

There you go. My daughter was semi-diagnosed and I got all up in arms about it but thats another story. Be careful when reading material about BPD because I found it was very ambiguous and broad in its interpretation. This means you could very easily apply it and self-diagnose with certainty. Caution is advised

I was convinced I had this because the symptoms matched, but I went to a psychiatrist and she said I don't, just OCD.

GLP 03-28-09 01:12 AM

Quote:

I had read somewhere that it was sort of a bullshit diagnosis; apparently a lot of teen girls get slapped with it, much like a lot of teen boys get slapped with "Oppositional Defiant Disorder", another bullshit diagnosis which is basically a fancy way of saying "bad kid".
There have always been bad kids. Being bad isn't necessarily a mental disorder.
Some kids just like to be bad because it's fun. Later, they outgrow it, if they survive.