Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Personality Disorders (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/)
-   -   PTSD. (https://www.takethislife.com/personality-disorders/ptsd-219281/)

Molurus Bivittatus 08-31-15 01:46 PM

PTSD.

Just been diagnosed with PTSD.

Any tips on how to cope with it. I am in a bad place now and need advice please.:confused:

lucid lunacy 08-31-15 07:05 PM

The most important person in my life has PTSD. I've seen how hard it was for her. I can't really offer per say since I know how to support her better after years spent around her but I don't what it's like first hand. I can tell you though that it gets better with time and the right kind of help.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Molurus Bivittatus 08-31-15 09:58 PM

I had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance in the early hours of Sunday morning as my mood got all erratic and I was getting really bad flashbacks. It was the worst I had been for a long time. Not good.

Just after other ways of coping with it until I can get help from the doctor. :hiding:

I love your username, by the way. Brilliant! :thumbsup:

lucid lunacy 09-01-15 02:16 AM

My friend used to have flashbacks about her traumatic experience all the time and thankfully, that's pretty much gone or at least close. She does have outburst of anger at times and is quite impulsive still but she knows she can trust me with anything... At least I hope she really does. I hope you'll get access to help quickly and that it'll work for you. Sometimes it takes time finding the right therapist and/or support in general.

It fits me quite well, considering certain things that happened a few years ago. I don't talk about it because I've learned to avoid any thought related to it but it was my own logical thinking that lead to my psychotic depression 4 years ago. I knew what was going on but some thoughts can't be stopped once they set in. The only thing you can do is prevent yourself from having them in the first place.

Molurus Bivittatus 09-01-15 09:22 PM

A lot has happened throughout my life. If I were to write it all down it would read like a Stephen King novel. The flashbacks are from my childhood and really disturbing.

I have issues with irritability and anger too, I think this is to do with the fact that I do not sleep or eat much. Had some very lucid nightmares too, like I was there all over again.

Certain things trigger me off and I hit a crisis or it can just build up slowly. Sometimes I know what triggered it but at others I do not.

Wish I could be happy and stable. Feels like I am in Hell right now. :confused:

lucid lunacy 09-02-15 02:37 PM

I hope you'll find peace soon enough.

andrewmcspandrew 09-02-15 06:09 PM

Hey Molurus Bivittatus,

It's nice to see you but I'm really sorry things are so hard. PTSD is my primary diagnosis (God, doesn't that sound like I'm not really a person or something?)

Flashbacks are really fucking awful. I used to have the much more often and much worse than I do know. It's a bit hard to say what's changed. I think medication is a part of it- I'm on the maximum dosage of my antidepressants and I think they really help to keep my mind out of that deep dark whole.

One other thing I've really actively done is identify the things that bring me back to the here and now. For me, flashbacks are really scary because suddenly I'm just back there- it's like an evil time machine. A bunch of things seem to help though. Talking to someone, even if it's about the weather. (Actually, especially if it's about the weather :=]) Going for a walk and really actively focus on the individual things I'm seeing. Watching utter rubbish TV (that's not triggering). Having a shower. I'm sorry that's all a bit vague, it's a bit hard to pin it down.

I guess the huge thing is I survived what I'm remembering and I sure as shit aren't going to let the memories kill me. Take good care of yourself :=]

Molurus Bivittatus 09-06-15 07:45 PM

Things are getting better for me now.

Had some very lucid nightmares too. the flashbacks are like I an really back there and it is happening all over again. I am arranging some treatment so that should help me get to a more stable place. Wishing you all the best.