Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Depression News (https://www.takethislife.com/depression-news/)
-   -   21 Tips to keep your shit together when you're depressed (article) (https://www.takethislife.com/depression-news/21-tips-keep-your-shit-together-142058/)

udevi 02-03-14 08:00 PM

21 Tips to keep your shit together when you're depressed (article)

The DIY Couturier ? 21 Tips to Keep Your Shit Together When You're Depressed.

There are a handful of pearls of wisdom throughout, especially liked the 'let go or be dragged' bit.

oliveoyl 02-03-14 08:19 PM

Good article. Thanks. :hug:

dreamer777 02-03-14 10:18 PM

Thanks. I can't say this article helped me specifically as I was in a flaming rage when I read it and none of the points really speak to me. But I am calmer now. Calm enough to type this message. Thank you udevi. Good timing.

whatsarahsaid 02-04-14 12:40 AM

I found this helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Nyxx 02-04-14 05:03 AM

Well written and helpful. Made me smile a little. Thank you for sharing this :)

udevi 02-04-14 05:37 AM

You're all very welcome.

TooNumbToFeel 05-06-14 08:59 PM

I've made sure to save those tips for rainy days, I do wish I could be more open with my emotions like some of the tips suggest but it's so difficult when all you feel is nothing, not even direct sadness. Still, a very interesting and delightful read, I appreciate you posting this :)

Anastassia Florine 09-21-14 10:10 AM

Yay! I know how this person feels; some of these so-called happy people are not happy with depressed people, therefore they are not happy either.

Other tips are great too. It's funny too; makes me less depressed. Like, "Don't read anything that won the Pulitzer Prize." Because they tend to favor depressing books, LOL.

Gene Poule 09-21-14 10:23 AM

OMG, this is a pretty good article, sort of game me a chuckle, too. I'll have to remember this one when things go wacky for me.

DPG1 10-05-17 08:13 PM

Chiming in here, thank you for sharing this article.:thumbsup:

RunningDeer 12-16-17 12:10 PM

I need to remember the "You are not a psychic" one...

stirfry 12-18-17 10:55 AM

I normally despise this sort of list/article, but I've made an exception for this one. Thoughtfully written.

Yang Yin 04-23-18 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningDeer (Post 2774081)
I need to remember the "You are not a psychic" one...

Agreed...that was the one that struck me. "Depression will lie to you."

It can destroy your self-esteem, your relationships and make you believe the world is better off without you.

When you are depressed, everything is so dark. It's hard to believe you will ever see the light again.

Don't let the lies, become your truth.

Convict 06-24-18 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Yin (Post 2863018)

It can destroy your self-esteem, your relationships and make you believe the world is better off without you.

When you are depressed, everything is so dark. It's hard to believe you will ever see the light again.

What is true today... How do you distinguish between right and wrong when it comes to your mind... If i had to listen to my mind everytime and do as it says, things would be very different now. But if i dont listen to my mind, what or who do i listen to?

Soooo... What is the *Truth*?

Please do not get me wrong, i am not trying to bust anyone's balls here, i am just stating my mind set.

Yang Yin 06-24-18 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Convict (Post 2905265)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Yin (Post 2863018)

What is true today... How do you distinguish between right and wrong when it comes to your mind... If i had to listen to my mind everytime and do as it says, things would be very different now. But if i dont listen to my mind, what or who do i listen to?

Soooo... What is the *Truth*?

Please do not get me wrong, i am not trying to bust anyone's balls here, i am just stating my mind set.

I began to ask myself, “What is reasonable? What is rational? What is logical about my thoughts”?

I wrote my thoughts down and re-read them. This often helped in seeing how irrational they had become (largely based on fear).

Given time, or over time I now find less purpose for it, and I basically live by 3 things I value. I say to myself, “What is kind? What is forgiving, and which helps me to be resilient?” For this, I don’t listen so much with my mind, as I do with my heart.

I wanted to write that the truth becomes less consequential. Because even if we can’t control our environment or what other people do to us (or how we think about ourselves), we still have control over ourselves and our own actions, but that just brings me back to your question, “ how do you distinguish between right or wrong in your mind ?”

I think this is why started trying to live by (and choose) what I value.