Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   Anxiety (https://www.takethislife.com/anxiety/)
-   -   Trying to lose weight to reduce depression/anxiety (https://www.takethislife.com/anxiety/trying-lose-weight-reduce-depression-anxiety-123570/)

HTTP 10-16-13 08:26 AM

Trying to lose weight to reduce depression/anxiety

People say most overweight people are funny and happy but I'm not one of them. I have PCOS and I've desperately been trying to lose weight so that I could have a baby and so that I wouldn't have to shave my face and worry about people's negative impression because of my weight. I saw it on my medical record that I was called morbidly obese. My BMI is 38. I know that's a medical term but that's really something that makes you think you need to change your life for the better. I'm only in my 20's and don't want to be regarded as a lazy couch potato. I have the feeling that weight loss would actually reduce my anxiety since I would become more outgoing, I would enjoy more activities etc. What would provide encouragement or inspiration for weight loss? Is it better to do it with a group?

SensualGirl 10-19-13 06:35 PM

You could try Overeaters Anonymous although twelve step groups are overrated. Just work on your diet and go for long walks. Walking might be good for your anxiety too.

praesepe 10-19-13 08:09 PM

Good luck HTTP!

I think change little things in your life but be consistent. I think weight loss is always very personal, make it your own journey that's what I say :hug:

StrugglingInLondon 10-20-13 11:09 PM

I'm in much the same boat as you HTTP, a lot of my depression these days is connected to my weight and I am desperate to lose a few pounds (err 90lbs) but I'm finding it increasingly difficult because of the lack of support, and the fact that I use food as an emotional crutch.

I'd love to get bariatric surgery but I'm working what is basically a minimum wage job and have terrible credit so that isnt going to happen for a good long time.

Good luck with your weight loss and I hope you do better than I am!

sab143 12-01-13 06:42 AM

I feel exactly the same way, my weight has a part to do with my depression and anxiety. I just feel that people don't even see overweight people as a real person I always feel like i'm invisible. I got so sick of this so I decided to join slimming world, that was 3 months ago and I have lost a 1st 7lbs. I really recommend slimming world it's great if you have a big appetite and the people are so friendly.

depressedandvulnerable 12-01-13 10:55 AM

I put on a few pounds over the years but my apetite has reduced significantly in recent weeks. Have lost weight and would say 'feel better for it' but it was only because of a severe shock recently that weight loss has occured. I don't 'feel better' about anything, although know its a good thing that some weight has been lost or a slimmer stomach

Try to eat healthy, one proper meal a day, no snacks, dont drink fatty sodas and fizzy drinks, stick to milk products, get plenty of exercise and stay active, walk a lot and try to remain positive with things - that would all be useful in keeping the pounds off and remaining slim and a better you.