Take This Life

Take This Life (https://www.takethislife.com/)
-   The TTL Cafè (https://www.takethislife.com/ttl-cafe/)
-   -   What do you do for work/study? (https://www.takethislife.com/ttl-cafe/what-do-you-do-work-study-101698/)

rememberthegirl 06-26-13 04:44 AM

What do you do for work/study?

2 Attachment(s)
I thought we could have a thread to see what kind of things people actually do in their jobs / used to do in their jobs / would like to do for a job? It's always interesting hearing about what other people do :)

[To keep anonymity, don't list which organisation you work for]

So....answer these questions:

1. What do you do for work?
Or if you are not currently employed: what did you used to do; or what would you like to do; or what are you studying?

2. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? i.e. what's your dream job.

I'll start...

1. I work as a senior environmental officer for the government assessing applications for coal mines and doing compliance inspections on them. And I have a Bachelors degree in Urban and Environmental Planning.

2. My dream job... probably sounds pretty silly, but I would love to do something to help animals... work in a zoo or something.... but the money is not so good, and jobs are few and far between, and I'd get way too attached to the animals and would get sad too much when they died or I had to say goodbye lol. :hiding:

FundamentalNail 06-26-13 11:19 AM

Good idea for a thread!

My answers:

1. I'm studying Arts at the moment (essentially social studies, I guess), with a major in Writing. The last few sessions at university have had me writing stories, plays and short film scripts. Also there's a study of literature and culture involved.

2. I can't say I have a dream job at the moment, though I used to want to be a movie director. My ideal job, however, is in academia...basically being a doctor of literature and writing...and then writing stuff in my spare time to be sold for MOAR MONEY

hottea654 06-26-13 11:38 AM

I've done so many different kinds of jobs that it isn't even funny... but what I am doing now is just a job to keep me afloat until I can get somewhere better.

Right now I am working for a bulk sales warehouse, so I have done everything in there from the clothing and books to loading flats with purchased materials the customer will pick up later, to making pizza and serving customers hot food. I'm about to probably switch out of the hot food area to mounting tires and doing basic car work there. Nothing at this job pays enough but it is a job.... so I try not to be so ungrateful.

I would like to get back to working in the diagnostic side of the medical field. That is as close to the dream job as I have right now. It fits my personality and I got a degree to do so, just ran into some setbacks with the changing requirements of the field and having moved across the country to begin anew, which means I don't have a supportive facility that employs me in spite of my accreditation for a while.

Kharn 06-26-13 02:19 PM

I work teaching computers/technology to generally older people.

I have a BA in Information Management

My ideal job would be anything which involves sleeping a lot!

Bed tester perhaps!

Pingu 06-26-13 02:52 PM

Nice thread :smile:

1. Studying Biology, Film, Maths and Psychology right now. All very interesting.. except Maths!

2. Dream (unrealistic) job would be a writer/director, but it's a near impossible career to get into. I think I'd enjoy anything ranging from working with animals to psychiatric nursing. Chocolate taster wouldn't be so bad either.

imp 06-26-13 09:36 PM

I'm working on my Master's. what it's called depends on where you get it- it's a Master of Library Science, a Master of Library and Information Science, or just a Master of Information Science. I really wish they'd just use one name, but they didn't ask me. ;)

Currently I work for a library, and I love my job. I do a lot of stuff... I'll spare you the full list. I can, however, sympathize with Kharn, as we have a high retiree population and tablets and e-readers are everywhere. I've lost track of how many retired people i've taught to use their devices.

dream job? Well, I'm obviously setting myself up to work in libraries. I have zero desire to be in a school library or the children's librarian. At some point I REALLY want to learn some proper book and document restoration... my university does have the facilities. Far as I can find, there aren't classes in it although people will do work-studies there and I'm hoping I can con the department head into letting me do a practicum there. I love playing with glue.

Sir Benet Exxul 09-06-13 08:54 PM

1. What do you do for work?

I'm an Assistant Warehouse Manager at a wholesale warehouse. We mostly sell tobacco products but we sell paper goods, beverages, candy and novelties, and automotive supplies as well.

2. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be? i.e. what's your dream job.

Heh...I'm a musician. I'd take to the stage. Even with a college degree though it's a struggle. I sort of gave up chasing it (sadly) when I realized how complicated of a life it would be, even if you do take it more professionally it's extremely difficult.

powpowpow 10-15-13 09:30 PM

im an artist

dream job: being a ghost hunter would be cool

megacast princess 02-27-14 09:49 AM

What do you do for work/study?

I'm currently studying a BSc in Sport and Exercise Science, so all the lovely things such as sport psychology, physiology, fitness training, coaching and biomechanics and kinesiology.

My dream job would to become a biomechanist working alongside top sporting clubs to help improve athletes techniques

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk