Never found therapy effective - Page 2
Take This Life  

Go Back   Take This Life > Treatment and Resources > Treatment > Therapy


Never found therapy effective

This is a discussion on Never found therapy effective within the Therapy forums, part of the Treatment category; Originally Posted by Black Sheep I have an 8 session limit here too. It's fucking ridiculous. Do they honestly think ...

join us
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-17, 04:18 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: South coast, UK
Posts: 32
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post

I have an 8 session limit here too. It's fucking ridiculous. Do they honestly think a lifetime supply of problems can be solved within 8 hours?
They can't, Black Sheep and probably they don't want to. Want they can and want to is take money. Same as solicitors, they are not interested to hel you, they want you to pay them.

You are better of talking to a complete stranger than to a shrink. You might even get more out of it. Take it easy.
Enddays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 04:46 PM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Calling it hard science is being overly generous IMO. Take CBT for instance. Sure, it's based on scientifically sound principles (e.g. conditioning, desensitization, etc.), but it falls apart in practice. I wish I could find my research papers from years ago. There's a ton of evidence to suggest that CBT is largely ineffective, yet it remains the most popular form of treatment for most mental illnesses. In fact, where I live, it's pretty much the only treatment you can find aside from medication.

There are so many inconsistencies in the approach it's not even funny. The behavioral component is flawed because there is no way to control the external environment or how others respond to the patient. A patient may take all of the correct actions and still have repeated negative experiences which confirm their "irrational" beliefs. Despite this, therapists will conveniently discount these experiences as invalid. They lose all credibility right there. If you're going to say that your approach is scientific and based on evidence, then ALL evidence should be accepted.
Yes hence why I said they need to change there approach. Am going to be pulling numbers out of my ass so no one take these as factual numbers.

For instance say CBT has 75% chance of helping someone with self-esteem issues. When it fails counselor never stops goes "O this person is part of 25% that this doesn't work on". Also those in field don't understand 75% success rate on a treatment is abysmal. This would be doctor's third or fourth option before they went to it. Counselors on the other hand see it as an solving hammer and have no idea what to do when a screw sits down.

More research, better trained counselors, and counselors who understand that treatment needs to be flexible designed for patient. Or in there words, this is process that both counselor and patient work on.

Quote:
I have an 8 session limit here too. It's fucking ridiculous. Do they honestly think a lifetime supply of problems can be solved within 8 hours?
Thats what government pays for. Just don't go to any place that requires you to pay for those 8 sessions. If government isn't giving them money then something is fishy. If government is giving them money then there screwing you over for session and in taxes.
TheFailedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 06:50 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFailedOne View Post
Yes hence why I said they need to change there approach. Am going to be pulling numbers out of my ass so no one take these as factual numbers.

For instance say CBT has 75% chance of helping someone with self-esteem issues. When it fails counselor never stops goes "O this person is part of 25% that this doesn't work on". Also those in field don't understand 75% success rate on a treatment is abysmal. This would be doctor's third or fourth option before they went to it. Counselors on the other hand see it as an solving hammer and have no idea what to do when a screw sits down.

More research, better trained counselors, and counselors who understand that treatment needs to be flexible designed for patient. Or in there words, this is process that both counselor and patient work on.
yeah, totally agree. And just to clarify - I wasn't arguing with you. When I used the word "you" I was referring to mental health professionals. Another thing I want to add is that studies have shown that CBT has poor long-term effectiveness, even for that hypothetical 75%. So even people who claim it's effective often end up relapsing in a short period of time.

This is just my opinion, but I suspect part of the problem is that a lot of patients aren't honest about their experiences with treatment. When I was in outpatient, I met far too many people who "successfully" completed therapy, but admitted that it didn't help at all. A lot of them lied to their therapists, claimed that they were better, and didn't bother going back. There were various reasons for this. Some said they felt guilty/ashamed about letting their therapist down. Others couldn't afford to continue or felt it was a waste of time. Then there were some who simply did it to fulfill legal obligations. To be honest, I've done all of those things myself in the past. I have a feeling that this isn't uncommon and it results in skewed statistics.

More people need to speak up about this. Confirmation bias is a major issue in this field. This will continue as long as our voices aren't heard. Unfortunately, most folks who have essentially been labeled "lost causes" by the system are tired and apathetic.

Quote:
Thats what government pays for. Just don't go to any place that requires you to pay for those 8 sessions. If government isn't giving them money then something is fishy. If government is giving them money then there screwing you over for session and in taxes.
That's interesting. Most of the places I've been referred to required payment for the 8 sessions. Maybe things are different now. I'm currently getting free 40-minute sessions for a limited time, but only because it's part of the follow-up for outpatient/crisis services.
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 02:13 PM   #14
TTL Bronze Member
 
SensualGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,074
My Mood:
Default

I don't find therapy effective either. Whenever I spend a week out of therapy, I improve. Then two weeks later, after seeing her again, I go downhill psychologically.

She keeps pressuring me to socialize when I told her I'm a loner. I just want her to validate my feelings! I don't want to make it obvious, but why can't she just say "it's okay to be you. You're a-ok in my book." Why does she keep trying to change me? If she would simply endorse 80% loner, 20% hedonist, then we could move on to tangible goals, like my physical health and financial independence.

It's almost as if she's deliberately making me sick so I can keep seeing her. I heard therapists purposefully make their clients sick and then heal them, so they can have something to work on and get paid for.
__________________
High hopes faint on a warm hearth stone; she travels the fastest who travels alone.
SensualGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 06:46 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualGirl View Post
I don't find therapy effective either. Whenever I spend a week out of therapy, I improve. Then two weeks later, after seeing her again, I go downhill psychologically.
same here.

Quote:
I just want her to validate my feelings! I don't want to make it obvious, but why can't she just say "it's okay to be you.
I totally hear you on that. This is why I don't share my problems with people IRL anymore. Most of the time I'm just looking for some kind of commiseration or comfort, but all I get is a bunch of unsolicited advice and personal attacks. You'd think therapists would know better, but no. They prefer take a cold and unfeeling approach. I hate how all this "tough love" crap has become the norm in society. The funny part is that whenever I actually ask for advice, no one seems to have any fucking answers!
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
 

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2